+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E94F77E6-3E84-4C11-9D0F-1C06C43130B0.jpeg

I built my new tank closer to the projection screen without realizing how bad the tanks lights will effect it. The blue completely washes out the screen.
I’ve been feeling bad about shutting the lights off early and sudden. The tank seems to be more active at the time I usually turn the lights off. Does anyone share a room with a projector and how (or how would you) deal with the lighting?

AquaCave Logo Banner

collins.jason.k

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an issue I have, but you could probably get one of those folding privacy screens that match your decor and move it in front of the tank when you were going to want to "focus" on viewing something else. It should block the light pretty good and isn't a permanent change to anything. When not in use it folds up or can be moved. Having one that matches the decor might even add to the personality of the room.

Personally I have 6 aquariums in my living room and even when the TV is on I find myself staring at a fish tank more often than the TV and just listening to it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3075243

I built my new tank closer to the projection screen without realizing how bad the tanks lights will effect it. The blue completely washes out the screen.
I’ve been feeling bad about shutting the lights off early and sudden. The tank seems to be more active at the time I usually turn the lights off. Does anyone share a room with a projector and how (or how would you) deal with the lighting?
Yes. Tank in the same room as projector and screen.
Tank lights out at 7, except for refugium, which is screened by cabinet doors.
So no real light issue.
Only problem is the co2 rise, reducing the ph when its movie night.

c_healy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big screen sits opposite my tank. I’ve got a black piece of plastic I clip on to the canopy if I want to watch a movie and the lights are still on. It eliminates 90% of the light spill. I’m in the middle of building a new canopy that will go down to the top of the glass.

AquaCave Logo Banner

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3075243

Almost exactly like mine.

I only watch using the big screen after the tanks lights out at 7.30pm.

Before then the 70" TV (on the wall behind the drop down screen) is used and is not affected.

You could put some shades on the lights - I've been thinking about doing that for a while.

OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canopy wouldn't work too good because the light will still hit the screen from the tank itself. I'm liking the room divider idea and i'm going to test that out with a piece of plywood.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
mlivvy

mlivvy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is an innovative marine 50 ext. Would be hard to build a canopy for it that will match the aluminum stand. If I have to move this thing i'll take it down for good. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I just tried a piece of cardboard to test the divider idea but too much light still hits the ceiling and sides. Projectors need a totally dark room. Now i'm going to test the "having the tank off by 7pm" idea. Maybe I can modify the schedule to shutoff at 7pm on the weekends.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Indymann99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re on to something here. Get rid of the entertainment stand and get a super big and bright QLED. One big enough to take up most of the wall!
Just saying that projectors inherently need a dark room. Switching to LED would eliminate that and the OP would not have to get rid of the tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back