Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the opportunity to buy some zoas that I'm very keen on, but I'm in the middle of setting up my new tank. I have a 30l tank which I was going to use as a QT. I was wondering whether I can put the zoas in there, do frequent WCs like I would if a fish was in QT, and then move them into my main tank in a month or so.

If this would work, can anyone recommend a cheap light I could get on amazon which I could keep them under for maybe a month? Or is this a totally terrible idea and I should see if someone with an established tank could look after them?

They can't stay with the seller as they are shutting their shop and tanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got the opportunity to buy some zoas that I'm very keen on, but I'm in the middle of setting up my new tank. I have a 30l tank which I was going to use as a QT. I was wondering whether I can put the zoas in there, do frequent WCs like I would if a fish was in QT, and then move them into my main tank in a month or so.

If this would work, can anyone recommend a cheap light I could get on amazon which I could keep them under for maybe a month? Or is this a totally terrible idea and I should see if someone with an established tank could look after them?

They can't stay with the seller as they are shutting their shop and tanks.
I think this would work. Reef builders did a video ages ago of adding coral day one. Zoas are hardy, as long as you are doing water changes you'd be fine, just don't add things that would spike ammonia.

As for lights, not sure of recommendations or what you consider cheap, but just put the tank by a window and use natural light. I have a 10 gallon "frag tank" that used to be a quarantine tank, but now is just zoa frags and shrooms. It has a cheaper 21Led fixture and natural light from the window.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back