Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, go as big as you can. The equipment pricing is really not that different and it is much more forgiving. Second is spend some time thinking about what animals you want, make a list, and then you can plan what you need by what those animals need. Don't be surprised if things on your list are not compatible, you will likely have to choose. If you base it around the most exciting aspect and design that part to succeed you likely be the happiest.

OP
OP
Chowder3

Chowder3

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, go as big as you can. The equipment pricing is really not that different and it is much more forgiving. Second is spend some time thinking about what animals you want, make a list, and then you can plan what you need by what those animals need. Don't be surprised if things on your list are not compatible, you will likely have to choose. If you base it around the most exciting aspect and design that part to succeed you likely be the happiest.
I get that... I guess I'd just be a little hesitant if I made a rookie mistake and just ruined everything. However, larger is awesome.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nathan Milender

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can be done, but it is easier to crash. My first tank was a 30 gallon for an octopus. Nobody had corals in those days. It ran on an undergravel and weekly water changes. It worked.

A 20 gallon with some rock and few damsels can be really entertaining with few worries and little investment.

I have seen really awesome nanos but I have never run one. The ones I have seen look good have coral and 1-2 very small fish. Almost like desk planters with intense lights.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how foolish would it be for me to start with a 20 gal? With the intention of most definitely making an upgrade once more knowledgeable and proven success?
If that's the size you want, there's nothing foolish about buying it. If you have every intention of upgrading in a year or so though, you'll find that not much of the equipment you buy for a 20 gal will work for a 65 - 75 -90g tank. You may end up spending a lot of money twice to get what you wanted in the first place. That said, a 20g would make a great hospital or quarantine tank for a setup of that size.

I've enjoyed my 65, but wish I'd started just a bit bigger. That size range you see the results of adjustments that you make within hours to days. Likewise, you can screw up on something and usually have a good day or three to catch that you've made a mistake. Huge tanks (I'd assume) take a lot longer to give you feedback. Smaller ones give instant feedback, but also much less time to notice you've gone awry before hitting critical levels of this or that.

JoshO

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
Have a good read of the thread shared by @Big G and @dbl
Also have a watch of the BRStv 5 minute guide and the BRStv 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube. I spent years doing research before diving in and I'm so glad I did!
Finally, be patient! And by patient I mean really patient! Nothing happens fast in a reef!

Avast
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Chowder3

Chowder3

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can be done, but it is easier to crash. My first tank was a 30 gallon for an octopus. Nobody had corals in those days. It ran on an undergravel and weekly water changes. It worked.

A 20 gallon with some rock and few damsels can be really entertaining with few worries and little investment.

I have seen really awesome nanos but I have never run one. The ones I have seen look good have coral and 1-2 very small fish. Almost like desk planters with intense lights.
Thanks so much for the information. I greatly appreciate it. An octopus ! Freaking awesome. That never crossed my mind, not that I would do that just a crazy idea.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back