+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Think the being thin is due to the picture. In real life he's a fatso. Was concerned with the white line down the middle.
White line in center is normal marking more displayed when stressed.
I just fed the tangs and you can see it on some of my yellows

1661818914886.png
1661818949322.png

Top Shelf Aquatics

Steve H

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad but still lacking.
These fish are herbivores and at minimum, you want to feed them:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
How did you come up with your required food items for herbivores? Seems odd that they require these specific brand food items, many of which are not algae based.

SaJon

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you come up with your required food items for herbivores? Seems odd that they require these specific brand food items, many of which are not algae based.
I hate to speak for @vetteguy53081 most of those foods are vegetable centric. Tangs do not ONLY eat algae etc. I do not agree with selcon - I do not think there is any evidence - the rest are all a good mixture

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Scopas Tang presents that same exact white line when stressed. I wouldn't say it has anything to do with HLLE, and iirc HLLE would first present itself in the head.

Steve H

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to speak for @vetteguy53081 most of those foods are vegetable centric. Tangs do not ONLY eat algae etc. I do not agree with selcon - I do not think there is any evidence - the rest are all a good mixture
Of the 8 food items he listed, algae is the number one or two ingredient on 2 of them…. I am not saying that they are not ok to feed, just odd to list these specific items as the “minimum”.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this HLLE on my tang? This presented itself over night if so.

Tank is 5 years old

No new additions in a couple years

I feed, nori, spirulina brine, mysis, pellets, rods fish only, rods fish eggs.

Tank parameters are
20 nitrate, .03 phos, 8 alk, 78deg, 35ppt salinity.

Power just went out for a few hours and noticed after I got back with a new generator.

View attachment 2806864
I’ve never seem HLLE show up overnight like that. Also, YT show it differently than other fish - a general pale coloration and erosion of the soft portions of the fins.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
having 20 tangs, this diet is essential and is not complete diet I feed them why I stated at minimum

food1.jpg
food2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
See pics above. Not specific and mentioned at minimum. I have 20 tangs, as long as 6 years and never had HLLE, disease, etc and mainly due to water quality management and diet

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Steve H

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See pics above. Not specific and mentioned at minimum. I have 20 tangs, as long as 6 years and never had HLLE, disease, etc and mainly due to water quality management and diet
Ok fair enough. It is just a bit odd to post the same generic response in several threads including this one where you incorrectly ID the case as HLLE and insist that you need to feed these specific food items because that’s what you feed. Many of these food blends are fine products, but have overlapping ingredients (predominately meaty) and are not a requirement for an HLLE free tank. You can provide good nutrition with many commonly available fish blends supplemented with nori and not need to purchase 8+ different food items.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok fair enough. It is just a bit odd to post the same generic response in several threads including this one where you incorrectly ID the case as HLLE and insist that you need to feed these specific food items because that’s what you feed. Many of these food blends are fine products, but have overlapping ingredients (predominately meaty) and are not a requirement for an HLLE free tank. You can provide good nutrition with many commonly available fish blends supplemented with nori and not need to purchase 8+ different food items.
Said it could be beginning but followed with stress marks showing mine have it
It’s a standard page I use as many are given flakes and pellets at LFS and told that’s what they eat
I’ve had tangs for years and know what they need
The items listed contain fats-amino- vitamins needed to alleviate stress and vitamin deficiencies
Again, my statement says at minimum.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Buckeye
Back