+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
My hippo tang that’s been in my main tank for 4 months now and keep scratching himself on rocks, he’s been doing this since he got in the tank.
Is there anything I can do while he’s in the main display?
I QT’d him for more than a month with copper. Did the API general cure for 2 rounds and seachem focus for 2 rounds along with a fresh water dip.
I may have done the General cure wrong ( apparently the instructions don’t do the job correctly)

so I have 3 fish coming and they’re going into QT, should I put him in there or so something in main display.
Thanks!!

edit: he’s also super healthy, fat and eat very well and in good health otherwise

Avast

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you’ve had this issue with him since at least June . What’s different with him since then ? And did you try the advice of vetteguy or Jay ?? Did raising the temperature to 80 degrees for a week see any benefit ? .

OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems you’ve had this issue with him since at least June . What’s different with him since then ? And did you try the advice of vetteguy or Jay ?? Did raising the temperature to 80 degrees for a week see any benefit ? .
He has been scratching the same. It doesn’t seem excessive but I do t want him to get worse
The temp has been 82 for 2 months and he’s still scratching

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all have you either dipped or put in the main tank as far as meds ? How often are you doing water changes and are you running a UV light ?
Water changes are 25 gallons every week and No UV. I do have one coming in tho.
Should I wait and run the UV and if it doesn’t get better QT him with next batch of fish?

CoralB

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is parasitic and it’s in the water column a UV light preferably 25 watts or higher with the flow going through it at around 1-200 gph can help keep numbers down but won’t touch anything on him or on the glass or substrate . Not knowing exactly what it is if you put him in the qt tank with the other fish they could get it . as I read that you already had this fish in qt prior . And if it’s still in the main tank with your tang and you put the new fish in with him they could get it . I would concentrate on figuring out what your dealing with before you enter the other fish . It’s really hard to see what it is from behind this iPad . And others have chimed in with their thoughts , at this point is their a decent lfs near you that can look at it and maybe take a scraping to look at it under the microscope. My guesses would be pretty much the same as jay hemdal or vette guy .

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
eqbal9947

eqbal9947

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is parasitic and it’s in the water column a UV light preferably 25 watts or higher with the flow going through it at around 1-200 gph can help keep numbers down but won’t touch anything on him or on the glass or substrate . Not knowing exactly what it is if you put him in the qt tank with the other fish they could get it . as I read that you already had this fish in qt prior . And if it’s still in the main tank with your tang and you put the new fish in with him they could get it . I would concentrate on figuring out what your dealing with before you enter the other fish . It’s really hard to see what it is from behind this iPad . And others have chimed in with their thoughts , at this point is their a decent lfs near you that can look at it and maybe take a scraping to look at it under the microscope. My guesses would be pretty much the same as jay hemdal or vette guy .
He’s was my first QT batch, him and the clowns.
After him, I’ve added a long nose hawk, naso gem, diamond goby, copperband, YWG.
Now I’m getting a few more fish.
If he is infected, the others will be aswell so I’ll leave him in there an run UV.
I have a microscope, not the best. Should I try a scraping of his slime coat?

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back