Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My new juvenile hippo came from the ocean and now been in my care n 2.5ppm copper (Hanna) for about 5 days now. She eats like a pig and is doing so well. Today I've noticed looks like white fuzz running from her nose up along the spine pretty much. She has flashed a few times for me as well in the last little while. Very hard to photo but I will show what I can. You have to zoom in but on one pic you can see a white spot near her eye. She hasn't had anything other than copper yet as I was planning general cure later on and whatever else needed

7B3630D8-A4F8-40C6-B535-A6614FC8E74A.jpeg AE303C58-9CCB-4C9A-9FEB-865E20208872.jpeg 1049D398-63AA-42A8-A1C0-7B04F1DDA0EC.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She was perfect yesterday should I run general cure as well right now? I've never had an issue like this. She has started flashing more so but it's strange it's only along her spine and nose area

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
She was perfect yesterday should I run general cure as well right now? I've never had an issue like this. She has started flashing more so but it's strange it's only along her spine and nose area
As you stated, the pics are distant and hard to make out but appears to be HLLE which is an erosion known as Head and lateral line erosion
Not abnormal with this type of fish and often triggered by poor water quality and diet but also copper exposure and high use of carbon. General cure likely not needed but :
- reduce copper next water change to 2.25
- Assure you maintain water quality
- Provide food with fats and viramins such as Mysis shrimp and LRS fish Frenzy.

To assure you are on track with treatment:
using Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Diet. Pe mysis. Spirulina brine. Pe Calanus. Selcon diet of salmon shrimp scallop and clam. She won't touch nori. But I think diet wise I'm ok
Good and not theyre not big on nori . Thanks for providing as much info as possible

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you stated, the pics are distant and hard to make out but appears to be HLLE which is an erosion known as Head and lateral line erosion
Not abnormal with this type of fish and often triggered by poor water quality and diet but also copper exposure and high use of carbon. General cure likely not needed but :
- reduce copper next water change to 2.25
- Assure you maintain water quality
- Provide food with fats and viramins such as Mysis shrimp and LRS fish Frenzy.

To assure you are on track with treatment:
using Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
This fish has never seen copper and has the best diet money can buy. I don't think white fuzz and the odd white spot is hlle. Currently running copper power 2.5. I stated the diet above. Fish has only been in North America for a week I've had her 6 days

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some white spots around her eyes. Flukes? I'm not new to this game at all but I haven't seen this either I see some of these fluff spots near the tail now as well shoukd I fresh water dip. Also just did a 50 percent waterchange and use green killing machine with the copper as well. Doing my best

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
There are some white spots around her eyes. Flukes? I'm not new to this game at all but I haven't seen this either I see some of these fluff spots near the tail now as well shoukd I fresh water dip. Also just did a 50 percent waterchange and use green killing machine with the copper as well. Doing my best
Again- the pics are not the best and need closer and clearer pics for best assessment. Fuzz is generally fungal but not seeing anything - at least clearly especially with reflection off of glass

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet. Pe mysis. Spirulina brine. Pe Calanus. Selcon diet of salmon shrimp scallop and clam. She won't touch nori. But I think diet wise I'm ok
Many blue tangs avoid nori when they are young.
Just to clarify, copper use is often blamed for HLLE, but that has never been proven. I’ve quarantined hundreds of these in coppersafe at full 2.5 dose and years later, they are all fine.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back