Hi From Wimbledon

UKReefGeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers.
Been a uk forum member since 2007 (reefer since 2005) and recently got back into reefing after a 6 year break and keep finding myself reading stuff in this site so thought it makes sense to join you guys in the U.S. and around the world.
I am in Wimbledon,London.
Had various sized mixed reefs over the years and now just set up a DD 1200.
Here is a pic of my scape and a very boring video about the DD Aqua pro reef.
20240831_211356.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers.
Been a uk forum member since 2007 (reefer since 2005) and recently got back into reefing after a 6 year break and keep finding myself reading stuff in this site so thought it makes sense to join you guys in the U.S. and around the world.
20240831_211356.jpg

Greetings from a fellow UK reefer!
You're in the best place.
The UK forums can be a little....bias to YouTube "reefers" shall we say.
Lots of good advice on here.
I'm strongly favouring a dd1200 for my next unit because of the unorthodox dimensions.
Great value too

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers.
20240831_211356.jpg

Greetings from Washington State across the pond. About as far as you can get really! I absolutely LOVE the way you pronounce Aluminum. We pronounce it differently. My daughter told me about this a few weeks ago and I found it interesting. But to actually hear it is awesome! I think you actually pronounce it correctly. We, in the US, do things in a manner (especially in weights and measures), so differently that it makes no sense.

Anyway, it's great to meet you. Welcome to the Boards!

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Washington State across the pond. About as far as you can get really! I absolutely LOVE the way you pronounce Aluminum. We pronounce it differently. My daughter told me about this a few weeks ago and I found it interesting. But to actually hear it is awesome! I think you actually pronounce it correctly. We, in the US, do things in a manner (especially in weights and measures), so differently that it makes no sense.

Anyway, it's great to meet you. Welcome to the Boards!
"Al-you-min-yum" Vs "ALOOOOMINUM"

I'm not sure which I'd correct if I'm honest.

I live next to an American air force base in the UK & drive a very old jaguar.
It never fails to make me giggle when an American says "NICE JAGGWAHHHH"

no no, its JAG-YOU-ARE

having said that, Americans say lieutenant correctly & us British do not :face-with-tears-of-joy:

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no no, its JAG-YOU-ARE

having said that, Americans say lieutenant correctly & us British do not :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Actually, I think you do. I think that the pronunciation comes from the French. And it's been modified over the centuries. I prefer the British version.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

no no, its JAG-YOU-ARE

OK. Just talked to my daughter (Meet Serena). She will give the story concerning Aluminum pronunciation. The following is all her......

In 1808, Sir Humphry Davy discovered an element that he initially named "Alum" because he isolated it from a substance called "Alumina". When he published his findings in 1812 he ultimately decided on "Aluminum". Not long after that, an anonymous man in the newspaper said it should be "Aluminium" because it sounds more classic Latin. British scholars and scientists agreed, so they went with that. This little mix-up never happened in the US or Canada, so we went with what the discoverer said. Australians have sided with the Red Coats, so they pronounce it as aluminium as well. I'd also like to add that the computer I'm typing on is so American, it keeps telling me aluminium is spelled wrong.

Last edited:

Aquariumaddictuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Just talked to my daughter (Meet Serena). She will give the story concerning Aluminum pronunciation. The following is all her......

In 1808, Sir Humphry Davy discovered an element that he initially named "Alum" because he isolated it from a substance called "Alumina". When he published his findings in 1812 he ultimately decided on "Aluminum". Not long after that, an anonymous man in the newspaper said it should be "Aluminium" because it sounds more classically Latin. British scholars and scientists agreed, so they went with that. This little mix-up never happened in the US or Canada, so we went with what the discoverer said. Australians have sided with the Red Coats, so they aluminium as well. I'd also like to add that the computer I'm typing on is so American, it keeps telling me aluminium is spelled wrong.
That's a great explanation to something I never knew the origins of!
Many thanks to you & your daughter for the information.
I'm fascinated by words & pronunciation(amatuer/hobby novelist albeit not very good!)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back