Hey everyone! Looking for info and insights from all them reefers :)

Pfeffer_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am kind of new here. Been a member for a little while but i very rarely come to the site as I usually look at others threads for info. I have had a 180 gallon dream tank setup for almost a year now. FOWLR for now but am going to move into that coral life shortly. (as soon as i save enough money for those crazy LED lights).

tank1.jpg
tank2.jpg

Quick breakdown of my tank:
Multiple tangs that are super playful with each other such as Tomini, Blue, Sailfin, Lavender.
2 Ocellaris Misbar Clownfish, Koran angelfish, Foxface rabbitfish, Neon dottyback, Longnose butterflyfish
Cleanup Crew such as cleaner shrimp, fighting conch snail, blue hermit crabs

Equipment: 39 sapphire sump trigger systems, reefwave 25 x2, cor20 return pump, sapphire ato 10 with apex atk, apex v2, pentair smart UV 40, apex afs, red sea skimmer 300, apex Dos+reservoir (ready whenever), carbon/phosphate reactor BRS, reef octopus biopellet reactor 1000ss, reef octopus algae reactor 150, orbit usa lights 36-48 x2 (will obviously upgrade to something that actually has par like the sky or kessil 360).
Filtration: 3-4 inch sandbed, lots of copepods from algaebarn, ~20 bioballs, carbon and phosguard, chaeto, 2-3 filter socks (may remove).

I think that's everything to give the rundown of the tank. So now to suggestions from you all. I have done lots of research on everything so far and continue to do so as I love learning about my 2nd favorite hobby (besides gaming). I have seen that copepods can replace mechanical filtration but I am hesitant to remove my filter socks, (mainly because i had spent 100 dollars on 5-6 sets from trigger systems because that's the best one that actually fits their sumps) and the fact that my water is so darn clear from the mechanical filtration doing so well.

If i am to remove these for better copepod populations, (granted I don't have to if you all suggest otherwise), what should i add instead to the system to keep my tank going really well?
Should i get another reactor that can help with low levels of nutrients or what? I am always interested in finding more and better equipment for my tank as i still want the best for my pets.

One note...i don't do water changes very often at all because i test my levels and all my equipment seems to keep everything really low at all times. (please don't tell me to do changes as i am happy with how the levels are for now). I also tend to use nitrate reducers etc every so often just to help, and i obviously do my best to clean out reactors when i need to. my pumps could use a bit of cleaning but I am doing my best in the time i have when not at work or taking care of my family (very busy life).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Peace River

Thrive Master
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Top Shelf Aquatics

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! How old is the tank? And I find it funny you have two Apex’s but no glorious light to look at the tank with lol but to each their own and I do love my Apex. I’d look into a few AI Primes as opposed to something like Radion as it’s less expensive and still good as it’s made by the same sister company. And Facebook marketplace and the selling platform on here is great to get used things like lights a lot cheaper.

aws2266

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! R2R is an awesome place.

For lights, I went with a couple Orbit Marine IC LEDs. Liked that you could control the return pump, powerheads, and lights all in the same app. Had I not gone this route I probably would have gotten a couple AI Primes.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!! :)

I like you plan to save for a decent lights. I made the mistake of going with a less powerful light and end up replacing the light after a few months. There are some good lights out there that have a price tag. I just upgraded two lights that I have been looking at for some time.

Look for depth, spread, and spectrum. You are not looking for a light that makes the tank look pretty, but a light that can not only keep corals alive but corals will grow.

Great tank by the way

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am kind of new here. Been a member for a little while but i very rarely come to the site as I usually look at others threads for info. I have had a 180 gallon dream tank setup for almost a year now. FOWLR for now but am going to move into that coral life shortly. (as soon as i save enough money for those crazy LED lights).

View attachment 2812500View attachment 2812501

Multiple tangs that are super playful with each other such as Tomini, Blue, Sailfin, Lavender.
2 Ocellaris Misbar Clownfish, Koran angelfish, Foxface rabbitfish, Neon dottyback, Longnose butterflyfish

Equipment: 39 sapphire sump trigger systems, reefwave 25 x2, cor20 return pump, sapphire ato 10 with apex atk, apex v2, pentair smart UV 40, apex afs, red sea skimmer 300, apex Dos+reservoir (ready whenever), carbon/phosphate reactor BRS, reef octopus biopellet reactor 1000ss, reef octopus algae reactor 150, orbit usa lights 36-48 x2 (will obviously upgrade to something that actually has par like the sky or kessil 360).
Filtration: 3-4 inch sandbed, lots of copepods from algaebarn, ~20 bioballs, carbon and phosguard, chaeto, 2-3 filter socks (may remove).

I think that's everything to give the rundown of the tank. So now to suggestions from you all. I have done lots of research on everything so far and continue to do so as I love learning about my 2nd favorite hobby (besides gaming). I have seen that copepods can replace mechanical filtration but I am hesitant to remove my filter socks, (mainly because i had spent 100 dollars on 5-6 sets from trigger systems because that's the best one that actually fits their sumps) and the fact that my water is so darn clear from the mechanical filtration doing so well.

If i am to remove these for better copepod populations, (granted I don't have to if you all suggest otherwise), what should i add instead to the system to keep my tank going really well?
Should i get another reactor that can help with low levels of nutrients or what? I am always interested in finding more and better equipment for my tank as i still want the best for my pets.

One note...i don't do water changes very often at all because i test my levels and all my equipment seems to keep everything really low at all times. (please don't tell me to do changes as i am happy with how the levels are for now). I also tend to use nitrate reducers etc every so often just to help, and i obviously do my best to clean out reactors when i need to. my pumps could use a bit of cleaning but I am doing my best in the time i have when not at work or taking care of my family (very busy life).
hi and welcome
Beautiful setup !

AS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2812500View attachment 2812501

Welcome! Glad you joined. Tank photo is looking GREAT!!

Hmmm.... my suggestion... going from FOWLR to corals... quarintine tank for corals... I know .... you're thinking I've put off corals due to lights cost and now you are suggesting another tank with ANOTHER light(s)... but YES. Coral dipping is essential (BSR has great 'best of dip' videos) but it isn't going to get it all... and then you're going to wake up with ... let's see... what have I gotten: hair algae, turf algae, bryopsis, bubble algae, flat worms ... and worse than all those combined: aiptasis... but there are so many MORE things that could potentially have invaded as I came late to the quarantine party. 'Pinch of Prevention worth Pound of Cure' ... FOWLR was so much easier than corals, but its not just the coral care themselves (water parameters, dosing, etc) that has been the hard part... it is pest chasing... let me stop typing and go fill another syringe of F-Aiptasia - it is the best (so far!) if you do get those aiptasia.

TIP: toss frag plug and put coral on fresh, clean plug before going into QT for several months observation before going into display tank

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Top Shelf Aquatics

tharbin

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Personally I always have some mechanical filtration. As for lights it's hard to go wrong with Kessil, AI/Ecotech or Neptune. There are also a number of more budget friendly alternatives that have followings but I don't have any experience with them so I'll leave that to others.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back