Hermit Crab Warning!

Are Clams safe with your hermit crabs ?

• Nah your clam is already dying, leave the hermit alone you freak!

• Hermit the murder, banish it!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TJ Jiang

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Maxima clam shipment this morning from Savage Reefer.BTW, Amazing vender! After Temp acclimation and toothbrush scrap, I first put in on a marine block and adjust for placement, took a beautiful pic, but you can see the siphon is open, so I was thinking the clam is still going through the acclimation process. After that, I push the marine block to the sand bottom, and cover the clam bottom with sand and went back to my room.

After 20 mins, I went back and check on it, the hermit crab is on it!!! For GOD SAKE! I quickly pull it out and put it in a breeder box, and I couldn't believe it, and I thought maybe I haven't done enough research about clam care, because the care tip I have seen the most are about pymrid snail, par level, and phytoplankton dosing etc.. But I never thought the hermit would go after my beautiful clam.

That being said, I went back to my room and browsed a bunch of clam & hermit threads, most of them are claiming the clam is probably dying, that's why the hermit is going after it, "it is doing its cleaning job, you dumb". So I decided to do a little experiment, I pull out the hermit from the breeder box and put it back on the sand bed and went back to my room to see if the hermit is going to go after the clam again.

Another 20mis passed, I went back to the tank and i see the hermit is on the top of the clam again! But I didn't pull it out, I want to observe it whether is true the hermit is just having fun or cleaning the clam. But God I was wrong, the hermit is literally eating the outside tissue, so I banished into my sump. Hell yeah.

Here is the pic. The best bet for me is maybe this one is the killer type, other hermits seem to be fine with it at this point. But my clam;Drowning BTW, English is my sec language, so sorry for the mass, open to discussion.

db420db7f2b3c1f2687c5f9b4825c62.jpg WeChat Image_20191206182701.jpg 81a721e56ff7a8b2c6a0cc1f874cb84.jpg

Savage Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Good job doing your research, unfortunately any crab could get that taste for skin its a lot of the reason I only run snails in my systems. You just never know and I do a lot of fragging so they would be all over the fresh cuts just doing what they do in nature just cant have that going on in my tanks lol! Thanks for the post!

OP
OP
TJ Jiang

TJ Jiang

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Good job doing your research, unfortunately any crab could get that taste for skin its a lot of the reason I only run snails in my systems. You just never know and I do a lot of fragging so they would be all over the fresh cuts just doing what they do in nature just cant have that going on in my tanks lol! Thanks for the post!
You got it Savage reefer :) Now I have banished all my hermits into the sump lol. otherwise, I'll never sleep at night.

Ps: For those of you who are viewing this thread, Savage reef is definitely my go-to place when it comes to coral and inverts collection. Be sure to look it up.:p

Bbfishb81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hermit eating my elegance coral one day, not one hermit in my tank for years now. I took every single one out and dropped them off at my lfs. I have less snail death issues and my tank is lean with out their help.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back