+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys,

I purchased a Deep Water Anthias 3 days ago, He went into Hiding as expected in Observation tank, Last night (Night 2) I look over
with the moonlight and see him swimming upside down, he's been right side up one or 2 times, he's eating, doesn't look stressed just 100% upside down... I'm assuming he got air somehow, I never took him out of the water, just released him from the bag... Anything I can do for him or just let nature take it's course ? I could post a video but not much to see other than a perfect upside down swimmer, doesn't appear to be bobbing like I've been told they float with air and go up and down....

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of Anthias, specifically?

My Borbonius anthias spend much of their time perched and swimming upside down under the rockwork.
Odontanthias borbonius, he's literally always upside down.... I get the under rock, but even when he comes out to eat... Upside down lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys,

I purchased a Deep Water Anthias 3 days ago, He went into Hiding as expected in Observation tank, Last night (Night 2) I look over
with the moonlight and see him swimming upside down, he's been right side up one or 2 times, he's eating, doesn't look stressed just 100% upside down... I'm assuming he got air somehow, I never took him out of the water, just released him from the bag... Anything I can do for him or just let nature take it's course ? I could post a video but not much to see other than a perfect upside down swimmer, doesn't appear to be bobbing like I've been told they float with air and go up and down....

This species often develops an overinflated swim bladder following shipment by air, the cargo holds are a little less pressurized than sea level. However, in those cases, the fish tends to swim head down and struggles to maintain position. Some marine fish orient themselves to surfaces and then seem upside down (like a group of royal gramma in a cave). Your fish could be doing that, but in my experience, fish stop doing that once moved to an aquarium.

I've used a pressure tank to try and treat swim bladder issues, but it rarely worked. I don't think there is any treatment here, and that the fish is still eating well is a good sign.

Jay

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This species often develops an overinflated swim bladder following shipment by air, the cargo holds are a little less pressurized than sea level. However, in those cases, the fish tends to swim head down and struggles to maintain position. Some marine fish orient themselves to surfaces and then seem upside down (like a group of royal gramma in a cave). Your fish could be doing that, but in my experience, fish stop doing that once moved to an aquarium.

I've used a pressure tank to try and treat swim bladder issues, but it rarely worked. I don't think there is any treatment here, and that the fish is still eating well is a good sign.

Jay
Thank you Jay for the insight, I did notice him last night in the dark hours swimming upright for a short period (5 Min+)
He appears under no duress, eating, Breathing completly normal... Just a waiting game at this point.... Must not be very comfortable with looking at the world upside down but who knows maybe he prefers it lol... Thanks again for your expertise! Pete

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back