Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need your input on what's causing these bubbles...

I spoke with a friend and he said that getting more clean up crew to help stir the top layer of sand bed might help... so I'm thinking of getting more hermits, nassaurius snails, etc..

watcha guys think?

Bubbles1.jpg

Bubbles3.jpg

Bubbles4.jpg

Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

mbunaman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its cyno bacteria that means possible higher phosphates and possilbe lack of oxygen. Siphon or remove most of it. And increase your flow if possible. The only critters I see that eat this stuff if Mexican Red Legged Hermits and Cerith snails. Nass. snails wont touch that stuff.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew should help. Usually I get it from the gases algaes/bacteria expel while growing.

that's what my friend was saying also.. something about bacteria... I didn't understand it.. I've never had this issue before..

Mchava

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin check you RO/di unit. I was getting that for a while and its seemed to go away after I changed the media. Also the bubble are coming from your sand bed its nitrogen gas the is able to make its way up to the top. Just go ahead and siphon it out on your next water change if when any time you want it gone.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marvin check you RO/di unit. I was getting that for a while and its seemed to go away after I changed the media. Also the bubble are coming from your sand bed its nitrogen gas the is able to make its way up to the top. Just go ahead and siphon it out on your next water change if when any time you want it gone.

I get my water from a water station that does 12 stage I think.. they're called Water To Go... I wonder if their media cartridges needs replacing... hmmm...

anyway, I hope it'll get better when I get the clean up crew...

Thanks everyone for your comments and helping me with this problemo...

Nutramar Foods

Mr. Ugly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marv, in addition to the water station possibility, that cyanobacter can show up if you have a big snail or something die in the tank.

It's only a small amount so try to rid it by siphoning, and doing a few large water changes to drop the nutrient levels.

Be careful of using ChemiClean. I know of 2 or 3 people that totally nuked their tanks with it.

You're pretty good at tank maintenance so I suspect that you'll be fine without going the chemical route. If you do want to dose, wait up on me. I have a detailed write up somewhere on using erythromycin to do the job. I've done it a couple times on tanks, and I've helped a few people treat their tanks too. Should be a last resort though.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try increase flow first marv. Only one thing i have seen eat it. Too bad i am not going to tell ya.
LOL Just kidding. Queen conch's eat it, Get a couple small ones, and when they outgrow your tank i'll take them in. ;) In a couple weeks i am going to get some hermits and snails. If you and wayne want to get a group order going we could order from reeftopia.

I suspect you'll let it have to run its course naturally, or use a chem. I like the first one better.
I have seen people using antibiotics for this as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marv, in addition to the water station possibility, that cyanobacter can show up if you have a big snail or something die in the tank.

It's only a small amount so try to rid it by siphoning, and doing a few large water changes to drop the nutrient levels.

Be careful of using ChemiClean. I know of 2 or 3 people that totally nuked their tanks with it.

You're pretty good at tank maintenance so I suspect that you'll be fine without going the chemical route. If you do want to dose, wait up on me. I have a detailed write up somewhere on using erythromycin to do the job. I've done it a couple times on tanks, and I've helped a few people treat their tanks too. Should be a last resort though.
it's funny you said something about a snail dying... I did have 2 or 3 margarita snails that farted on me... one time I caught one that was dead, it smelled so bad so that might be the culprit... I will be doing a 25% water change this weekend and the weekend before I leave for vacation so hope that will help.. and I'll be pickin up more clean up crew to help stir the sand...

Are you getting any micro bubbles from your sump? Whenever I have any microbubble coming from my return it usually forms larger bubbles on any nuisance algae in my tank.
as far as I know, no micro bubble fromt he sump coz the chaeto does a really good job on filtering out the micro bubbles.. I do get a whirpool from the seio every so often when it's on, that's probably helping produce more bubbles...

man, I appreciate all the help and suggestions guys.. it's really helping me....

Thanks again...

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try increase flow first marv. Only one thing i have seen eat it. Too bad i am not going to tell ya.
LOL Just kidding. Queen conch's eat it, Get a couple small ones, and when they outgrow your tank i'll take them in. ;) In a couple weeks i am going to get some hermits and snails. If you and wayne want to get a group order going we could order from reeftopia.

I'm game!

Mr. Ugly

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah, dead snail will do it for you.

Cyanobacter is photosynthetic, and the bubbles are trapped oxygen from the bacteria.

I think keeping your pH up, in addition to the other suggestions about flow, siphoning, water changes, is supposed to help.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my ph at 8.3 and its on my frag plugs and rack. Those plugs are magnets for it. Theu must use something in them that promotes algea.
I bet thats contributing to marvs delemma. He must have 100 plugs in his 28 gal. ;)

Nutramar Foods

minibowmatt

2 zoos for me, 1 for you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow doesnt solve the problem of Cyano, it just hides it. You should check your RO/DI. that is my first choice. The bubbles are forming due to the photosynthetic activities producing oxygen, which is getting caught under the slime. You must have some excess nutrient in the tank. You need to determine what that is before you can "fix" the problem. lots of BIG Wc's will get it out quickly.

If you want a quick fix, try Chemi-clean which is just repackaged eurythromycin (sp). Read up on that before you dose it.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get your Parameters tested along with silicates. I had an issue with cyno and diatoms and found that my tank had a high silicate count. I removed the silicates and the diatoms and cyno disappeared. I would point the fingers at the water station water to be honest, I used to get water from one of those stations and they don't seem to keep up on the media changes. Of course its for drinking and it don't need to be a pure or clean like we want for our tanks.....

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back