Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I know back in 2008 you were not a fan of Lanthanum Chloride. Given what we know now and all the testing that's been done since then, do you still hold the same thoughts?

Do you think the LC can make its way to the DT even if it's super diluted (1ML per 1 liter) "slowly" dripped in a reaction chamber, exists into a 10 micron felt sock, and then fed into the inlet of a skimmer?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I know back in 2008 you were not a fan of Lanthanum Chloride. Given what we know now and all the testing that's been done since then, do you still hold the same thoughts?

Do you think the LC can make its way to the DT even if it's super diluted (1ML per 1 liter) "slowly" dripped in a reaction chamber, exists into a 10 micron felt sock, and then fed into the inlet of a skimmer?

Some folks report issues with lanthanum, but many don't. It's hard to know whether those are undesirable coincidences or not.

It is certainly fine for treating new rock outside of a tank. It may also be OK in a reef tank, but I'd generally elect GFO over lanthanum or aluminum products. :)

Note that I expect it also lowers alkalinity by combining with carbonate, so if you use it, keep an eye on the alkalinity.

Avast
OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I agree. It should be a last resort in a reef tank only for those reefers who are battling sky high PO4 levels. LC can wipe out a tank quick. The only negative I've consistently heard about LC was that some species of tangs seem very sensitive to it.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks report issues with lanthanum, but many don't. It's hard to know whether those are undesirable coincidences or not.

It is certainly fine for treating new rock outside of a tank. It may also be OK in a reef tank, but I'd generally elect GFO over lanthanum or aluminum products. :)

Note that I expect it also lowers alkalinity by combining with carbonate, so if you use it, keep an eye on the alkalinity.

Been treating with Lanthanum since this thread started. I'm still leeching PO4. It's ranging between 0.2 - 0.5

I've been knocking it down and then it's up the next day. I can't get to my target of 0.05 because you gotta go slow. If I drop it more than 0.15 in a day...my Magnifica and Gigantea anemones will deflate or walk. Everything does ok if it's a drop of 0.8 - 0.1, and i've gone to 0.15 in a day- a few times with minimal issues. I think staying at 0.1 drop in 1 day is safe but 0.5- 0.8 drop would be safer.

Also wanna note for the record....Not having any issues with alk swings or it affecting alk. Alk has been steady and I haven't noticed the LC lowering it yet. Will update if it does. All other parameters are on point. Just the PO4 is high and my systems always run clean with low nutrients. Plus I have a lot of Filtration (50 liters of siporax and (2) 8x8x4 marine pure blocks)....So I know it's not my system....it's that rock and whatever they colored it with.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back