Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might run 4 of them, and turn them down, for better coverage, especially with Acros.

A single AI prime has a recommended spread of about 18x18". But more may be needed for sticks.

Acropora is just a different animal. You'll have to see how they do. I think you'll have shadowing.

I would run them all if you still have them. It will help with spread and shading.

It looks like a 4' fluval 2.0 is about 59 watts at full power on all channels. I haven't taken a PAR meter to one, but I would guess it's pretty similar to a single T5 bulb.
Interesting. Ok, so, to run the fluval and the two prime lights, how might you suggest setting that up over a rectangular area? Push the long fluval to the front and have the primes back or vice versa? Which way would be better? Might get tricky running two separate lighting programs at the same time.

Or what about getting a hydra to put in the middle and then put a prime on either side—I was thinking the hydra to kinda have the two lights from it shine on either side of the structure bracket that is part of the rim.

I was hoping not to spend a ton more.....

OP
OP
Amanda85

Amanda85

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above would be if you stay with a mixed reef. If you get bit by the acro bug in a serious way, you would prob need the hybrid fixture at the least and maybe another prime or 2 on top of that depending on what acros you stock.
I’m new to the acro world actually, and it kinda happened by accident while perusing thru Aqua SD’s eBay site. I bid 50 cents higher on a $15 acro (naively never having bid on anything there before) and 3 days later no one else bid on it! I couldn’t back out once I’d won so, now I have an acro haha. Go figure. It’s what prompted the change up in lighting. 2 years ago I changed from an “ancient” t5 that went belly up, to a fluval marine 2.0 LED style. I’ve been curious to grow more advanced things over the years, but never had what I felt was good enuf lighting. I decided to splurge with a little stimulus money, researched a bit, and decided on 2 AI 16hd primes.

stephj03

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Primes are a solid pick on a narrow tank like yours. They will make what you have in the tank right now happier.

Keeping the flu handy will be a great alternative to adding an LED bar or a t5 if you end up wanting more even spread.

OP
OP
Amanda85

Amanda85

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the acropora frag you got .
some require high lighting

any pictures of the frag you won ?
Light isn’t fully on yet so here’s the eBay wysiwyg pic.

An “electricians acropora”

Attachments

• D8B761B2-E2DD-4C90-9819-BCAA268885A4.png
    D8B761B2-E2DD-4C90-9819-BCAA268885A4.png
    487.6 KB · Views: 29
World Wide Corals

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know!!! I figured for sure someone would outbid a total of $15.50. Guess it got missed in the big world of eBay. I’ll have to remember eBay for any future coral purchases.
I’ve never thought of ordering from eBay
And with everything the way it is in the world , shipping is even slower now .

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Amanda85

Amanda85

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going to try keeping the fluval and run the AI primes in addition, with the fluval in the very front and primes in the back. The flexible mounting rods came today and I set it all up! But now my lid won’t fit due to the height of the primes. dang! Better add a new lid/cover to the honey-please-do list. Haha

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going to try keeping the fluval and run the AI primes in addition, with the fluval in the very front and primes in the back. The flexible mounting rods came today and I set it all up! But now my lid won’t fit due to the height of the primes. dang! Better add a new lid/cover to the honey-please-do list. Haha

AquaCave Logo Banner

Hemmdog

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know!!! I figured for sure someone would outbid a total of $15.50. Guess it got missed in the big world of eBay. I’ll have to remember eBay for any future coral purchases.
Make sure you dip that frag. Looks, wormy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back