Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions about replacing my sand in my tank. Currently my tank’s sand bed is about 1.5” deep. After a year+ and many algae and diatoms breakouts, it has become very discolored. I have the parameters under control now to prevent those from happening again, but I’m wanting to replace the top 0.5” with fresh sand to get the white clean look back. Are there any suggestions on how to do this best? Any potential issues I should be worried about?

(Note: I have tried siphoning to clean it, but it doesn’t get any better once the loose material is collected.)

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add sand but it’ll just mix in with what you have anyway. Siphon your sand out into a bucket and rinse it really well. Until the water doesn’t cloud anymore.
You can even bleach it if you really want it to brighten - but it’s probably not worth it. It’ll lose that brightness in a week anyway.
So just rinse it really well and put it back in.

CarltonCay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happens to sand. That's bacteria and microorganisms that are filtering your tank. Those white sand beds are extremely hard to take care of, often requiring multiple siphons of the entire sand bed once a month or more. Research about the first year of a tank and the algae blooms - they happen. I wouldn't go switching things up since you just got the parameters stable. Adjust your expectations of what a healthy saltwater aquarium is because stable parameters mean a health system, not white sand.

Nutramar Foods

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theres how to change out the sand if you choose to

people have to move homes eventually then they’re forced to take action, we found that doing the same set of actions for simply a new bed electively is ok, all pages have the same outcome regardless of the motivation for the change

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back