Adding Sand

ThatFishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a 40 Gal cube tank that is about five months old now. I have Two clowns, a lawnmower blenny , a coral Beauty, and a Diamond goby. I had my sand at a good level all around the tank. Once the diamond entered the scene, it moved a whole lot of sand from the two left corners of the tank to create it's domain. I have another bag of live sand that I did not use for the initial set up and cycle of the tank. Would I be ok to just adding the additional bag of sand in? I saw a method using a two liter bottle filled with sand to place the sand where it is needed. Would I need to rinse the new sand before adding it to the tank?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a 40 Gal cube tank that is about five months old now. I have Two clowns, a lawnmower blenny , a coral Beauty, and a Diamond goby. I had my sand at a good level all around the tank. Once the diamond entered the scene, it moved a whole lot of sand from the two left corners of the tank to create it's domain. I have another bag of live sand that I did not use for the initial set up and cycle of the tank. Would I be ok to just adding the additional bag of sand in? I saw a method using a two liter bottle filled with sand to place the sand where it is needed. Would I need to rinse the new sand before adding it to the tank?
no need to rinse it, but if you do rinse it with ro/di or fresh salt water first, it will reduce some initial cloudiness. The 2 liter bottle method is a good way to add the sand without overly clouding the water.

RWReefer

Funding a new addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have a 40 Gal cube tank that is about five months old now. I have Two clowns, a lawnmower blenny , a coral Beauty, and a Diamond goby. I had my sand at a good level all around the tank. Once the diamond entered the scene, it moved a whole lot of sand from the two left corners of the tank to create its domain. I have another bag of live sand that I did not use for the initial set up and cycle of the tank. Would I be ok to just adding the additional bag of sand in? I saw a method using a two liter bottle filled with sand to place the sand where it is needed. Would I need to rinse the new sand before adding it to the tank?
I would rinse it just for the purpose of not clouding up your tank. Take a cup full of that sand and add water. Observe cloudiness. That’s what’s going to happen with the tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back