Help with possibly dying acans

silenthuntertm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1717.jpeg

Hey all! So I’ve had this acan for about 3 months now. Tonight I came back from work to this. One of its head looks like its melting and showing skeleton up to the center part. I tested my waters immediately and it all seemed fine. The only changes I made to this tank the past week is adding a peppermint shrimp. Could he be the culprit? Is there a chance my acans can recover? If so, what do I need to do? Thanks in advance! Oh, and here is my water parameters:

Salinity: 1.026 SG
Temperature: 27°c
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Phosphate: 0.03 ppm

Alkalinity: 9.2 dKH
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1450 ppm

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes peppermint shrimp have been known to go after soft corals like acans. I would get or make a basket to put over the acan to protect it until you can catch and remove the shrimp. You will probably need to rent a trap from the LFS and catch it overnight, or maybe you can make something with an inverted soda bottle top or something like that.

OP
OP
S

silenthuntertm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes peppermint shrimp have been known to go after soft corals like acans. I would get or make a basket to put over the acan to protect it until you can catch and remove the shrimp. You will probably need to rent a trap from the LFS and catch it overnight, or maybe you can make something with an inverted soda bottle top or something like that.
Bummer. I never saw the peppermint once adding it though so it might be a challenge to catch it. I’ll see what I can do. Thanks! But is there a chance my acans can recover after this? Do I need to increase spot feeding it because as of right now I only feed once a week with reef roids mixed with frozen rotifers and frozen mysis. Will dosing aminos help?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it will recover.
Do I need to increase spot feeding it because as of right now I only feed once a week with reef roids mixed with frozen rotifers and frozen mysis. Will dosing aminos help?
I would not feed it until it is recovered. They do fine with photosynthetic energy and the food can sometimes lead to bacterial infection if its mouth area is wounded.

OP
OP
S

silenthuntertm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it will recover.

I would not feed it until it is recovered. They do fine with photosynthetic energy and the food can sometimes lead to bacterial infection if its mouth area is wounded.
Acans can definitely recover from this if the stressor is removed. They’re pretty hardy.
Got it! Thank you, appreciate the help

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could get this and keep the acans and shrimp

1843B6CE-15FF-4F1C-B1CB-BBBB69112E57.jpeg

I got one to protect some zoa and Goni while I isolated a nippy predator, but no reason the items couldn’t be kept in long term. Can mount to the glass and sit on the sand or at any height. Not shown in pic are locks that clamp the lid on securely. flow holes are on all sides.

I paid a small fee to have the box made 4” high to accommodate my Goni, but for acans this would be fine. Unlesss they are on small rocks. If so just message the seller and he can make it taller

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1381904380/

OP
OP
S

silenthuntertm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks awesome! Think it might be perfect for my tank to isolate the acans and a few more others. Thank you so much for this, I’ll definitely get this.

OP
OP
S

silenthuntertm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get this and keep the acans and shrimp

1843B6CE-15FF-4F1C-B1CB-BBBB69112E57.jpeg

I got one to protect some zoa and Goni while I isolated a nippy predator, but no reason the items couldn’t be kept in long term. Can mount to the glass and sit on the sand or at any height. Not shown in pic are locks that clamp the lid on securely. flow holes are on all sides.

I paid a small fee to have the box made 4” high to accommodate my Goni, but for acans this would be fine. Unlesss they are on small rocks. If so just message the seller and he can make it taller

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1381904380/
This looks awesome! Think it might be perfect for my tank to isolate the acans and a few more others. Thank you so much for this, I’ll definitely get this.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back