Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 4 month 55 gallon tank, mostly dry rock but some rock that was “cooked” at pacific aquaculture, and I have had some gracillia and chaeto in a reactor ( so unknown where the seeds of this came from.)
I have 3 patches of this. Any help with ID? Thanks
45909FC7-CA2D-4020-95F9-891D7B77497F.jpegE138E181-2DDB-4B18-9EC2-A33AE8B464A7.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to AlgaeBarn's question, do you think you could get clearer pics with more white and less blue light? (I'm struggling to see if there's a pattern on this thing like you can see on Halymenia malaysiana or H. dilatata.)

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the feel of this is not quite leathery- stiff but not calcium hard
under full white and some green/red - the whitish haze on it started after i was messing with the sand - i wonder if i bleached some? the other patches are solid maroon
still not the best pic - if needed i can pull some out and photo under room light and magnifyer - long day and having dinner first :)
4.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too,
also if it is significant I did seed the tank with pods and had a jar of macroalgae in the Hob filter for a while from Algae barn - was chaeto and gracilia i think but didnt know if a different growth form due to flow? however,it is in medium and low flow areas and looks similar

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if needed i can pull some out and photo under room light and magnifyer
I'd do that and see. Macroalgae isn't my strong point, but hopefully we'll be able to figure this out for you.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the feel of this is not quite leathery- stiff but not calcium hard
under full white and some green/red - the whitish haze on it started after i was messing with the sand - i wonder if i bleached some? the other patches are solid maroon
still not the best pic - if needed i can pull some out and photo under room light and magnifyer - long day and having dinner first :)
View attachment 3145963
I have Gracilaria Hayi that grows that way.

A beautiful species of Gracilaria featuring rigid, flame shaped branches that form a tight symmetrical bush. It is lightly calcified so the addition of calcium is recommended. In shallow water it is often found in very large clumps covered in colonial tunicates or encrusted with epiphytic bryozoans. The coloration varies between deep crimson red to bright orange depending on the amount of light provided. It features a small holdfast that can be attached to rocks or left as a free floating specimen if desired. Overall it is undemanding and will grow well under a variety of conditions even in low flow environments. Due to its lightly calcified branches it is not known to be very palatable to fish or invertebrates.

Avast

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Hi, I have a 4 month 55 gallon tank, mostly dry rock but some rock that was “cooked” at pacific aquaculture”

I don’t think your PacificAquaculture rock was “cooked” too much. Not sure what cooked means to you?

I suggest you talk with customer service at PacificAquaculture to identify that macro.

AS
OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say cooked, they have dead rock that sits in their systems for a while, mostly bacteria and coralline is what I expect, rather than fully dead rock,I saw no hitchers.
I don’t have gracillia in my reactor just chaeto, but I had gracillia in my hob filter chamber as a mini fuge the first few months (no Refugium)
I got the gracillia from algae barn
Unfortunately. My camera skills aren’t the best but hoping this video shows it well enough.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back