Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is around seven or eight months old now, I have majestic angelfish, purple tang, Kole tang, baby clown trigger, snowflake eel, clownfish, 3 wrasses and then a bunch of astea snails, emerald crabs, some other snails, cucumber, brittle star. I feed a cube of mysis in the morning and pellets at night, also feed nori and a piece of shrimp 2 or 3 times a week.
When did you first notice the problem? Lol, omg, :)
I think best method to clean this is in sections, start work from the furthest point of your main filtration.
If you filter is to right of aquriam, start from left, manual hands in first (gloves if necessary) pull out as much manually with fingers (use left hand with cloth outside aquarium to place algae and right hand to pull algae/wet hand) as your aquarium quite large I would divide into 6 sections to remove gradually

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Section it off, easy way to remove but needs to be weekly or fortnightly, before water/ filter change, it looks messy at the moment but gradually you will remove and just have small amounts remaining

Attachments

• IMG_20230215_221512.jpg
    IMG_20230215_221512.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230215_221445.jpg
    IMG_20230215_221445.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
O

oliverout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you first notice the problem? Lol, omg, :)
I think best method to clean this is in sections, start work from the furthest point of your main filtration.
If you filter is to right of aquriam, start from left, manual hands in first (gloves if necessary) pull out as much manually with fingers (use left hand with cloth outside aquarium to place algae and right hand to pull algae/wet hand) as your aquarium quite large I would divide into 6 sections to remove gradually
I first noticed it a few months ago and I let it spiral out of control. Thanks for the advice. I actually just cleaned a bunch while I was off of r2r the only issue tho is that I can't get every single bit off and won't it keep on growing? Thanks for the help.

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I found it growing on my snails shells and hermits shells as the move around but honestly I just went from left to right, fingers to pull and a toothbrush to scrub rocks, it still appears in some areas so I brought a tuxedo urchin, it seemed a tough task to begin with but after maybe a month I was on top of growth

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I found it growing on my snails shells and hermits shells as the move around but honestly I just went from left to right, fingers to pull and a toothbrush to scrub rocks, it still appears in some areas so I brought a tuxedo urchin, it seemed a tough task to begin with but after maybe a month I was on top of growth
My tuxedo urchin is now my gardener lol, I just remove from hard to reach areas now

Attachments

• IMG20230215144656.jpg
    IMG20230215144656.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
O

oliverout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I already have a tuxedo urchin also some other black one on my live rock, also some tangs, so once I get it down they should be able to control it

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I already have a tuxedo urchin also some other black one on my live rock, also some tangs, so once I get it down they should be able to control it
Well not really, from when I had the hair algae problem, I found out that once hair algae reaches a certain length, no crabs, fish or urchin will eat it.

So manual removal to get rid of biggest growth will be better

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
O

oliverout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not really, from when I had the hair algae problem, I found out that once hair algae reaches a certain length, no crabs, fish or urchin will eat it.

So manual removal to get rid of biggest growth will be better
Ya I just removed a bunch of the algae and it already looks bette, gonna get rid of the rest tomorrow probably

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes always before a water change/ filter clean as when you pull... some bits tend to float around and they can clog up filters easy, just do it weekly if you can or as often as possible, you will be on top of it in no time :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've heard mixed things about hydrogen peroxide will it be safe for all of my corals and fish? Also I have most of those cuc already. I'm using rodi water, I'll try some gfo to get the phosphate down. Also yeah my tanks near a window it gets a little bit of sunlight in the morning but that's it. Thanks.
While Peroxide is safe, its best to do this step outside of tank in a container of tank water otherwise you'll release the filaments into the tank and clog filters and intakes. For GFO which is strong, get a pouch of ChemiPure blue or Elite which will slowlybring po4 down.
On sunlight- I suspected this as UV is very strong and will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains and cause these issues.
Get a piece of black construction paper from Walmart stationary section and place at side of tank that faces window and you will see a drastic reduction.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
O

oliverout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Peroxide is safe, its best to do this step outside of tank in a container of tank water otherwise you'll release the filaments into the tank and clog filters and intakes. For GFO which is strong, get a pouch of ChemiPure blue or Elite which will slowlybring po4 down.
On sunlight- I suspected this as UV is very strong and will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains and cause these issues.
Get a piece of black construction paper from Walmart stationary section and place at side of tank that faces window and you will see a drastic reduction.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it a lot.

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back