Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal got back from work today and bad surprise! also Ctenochaetus, who seemed the healthiest (but he had started breathing fast) died! labroides is lying on the bottom and breathing very fast!
since I’m on the 10th day of copper I exclude velvet or ich, and the ammonia level is ok.... can I somehow look at the fish and locate the cause??????
do I throw away all the water, disinfect everything with bleach and start over with the cycle of the new larger QT that will arrive on Tuesday?
probably the foxface that died first infected everyone....

Sorry to hear. Can you post a video?

Coppersafe is being done properly, so I think you can exclude velvet. Ich doesn't cause rapid breathing until near the end of the infection. Water quality issues are almost always from ammonia, low dissolved oxygen can be a problem, but I think that tank is properly aerated so you can rule that out.

That leaves flukes or bacterial gill disease as the next two likely possibilities......

Jay

OP
OP
Gildo

Gildo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I learned from my mistakes...
New 22 Gallon QT.
only two small 2.5 inch fish at a time
1 Ctenochaetus and 1 foxface.
bought from "reliable" shop that keeps fish at 35%000 salinity
the Ctenochaetus was there for 3 months (seen with my own eyes)
foxface from 10 days
I've been observing them in my qt for 4 days, they eat a lot but as soon as I get close they run away, however they don't have any obvious signs of illness.
only observations, but I think it's nothing,
1) the Ctenochaetus has the 2 dots of the "nostrils" clearly visible and white, in the others I've had I hadn't noticed them, but it seems to me a normal thing.
2) I saw the volpinus defecate once, it makes a liquid-brown cloud that dissolves immediately in the water, I'm feeding them with spirulina flakes.

So far everything normal?

ictium or velvet in active form would seem to be excluded, the fish that I have lost so far I have lost after copper or in any case after the twentieth day of copper, even if it does not comply with the protocol, could I start treatment with prazi? If infections occur, can I add acriflavine to copper or prazi? (I found and bought a fish product with 2mg of acriflavine in 1ml called dessamor)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gildo

Gildo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
to recap, I have observed my fish in the new QT for 8 days. and since they were fine I opted to start with the treatment with prazi, 2.5ppm every 8 days, tomorrow I will do the third treatment, never changed the water! Will I have to do a water change before switching to copper? or just wait 48 hours for the prazi to degrade and then dose copper???
since so far the fish have not had any signs of disease can I make less than 32 days of copper??? if so how many? or always better 32?
thank you all

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
to recap, I have observed my fish in the new QT for 8 days. and since they were fine I opted to start with the treatment with prazi, 2.5ppm every 8 days, tomorrow I will do the third treatment, never changed the water! Will I have to do a water change before switching to copper? or just wait 48 hours for the prazi to degrade and then dose copper???
since so far the fish have not had any signs of disease can I make less than 32 days of copper??? if so how many? or always better 32?
thank you all
Prazi does degrade in 36 hours or so, but water changes can’t hurt, since you’ll be going into 30 days of copper.
If you are using coppersafe 30 days is safest.
Jay

OP
OP
Gildo

Gildo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi does degrade in 36 hours or so, but water changes can’t hurt, since you’ll be going into 30 days of copper.
If you are using coppersafe 30 days is safest.
Jay
Thank you! I follow your instructions!
if I understood correctly, when I will do the new cycle with new fish, the bacterial degradation of the prazi, shouldn't still be so fast that it won't work, (3 doses now + 3 doses for the new fish) but a third cycle with new fish (6+3) the prazi will in theory degrade too fast and won't work!
did I get it right?
so what am i supposed to do? empty disinfect with bleach, aquarium and media and do a new cycle?

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I follow your instructions!
if I understood correctly, when I will do the new cycle with new fish, the bacterial degradation of the prazi, shouldn't still be so fast that it won't work, (3 doses now + 3 doses for the new fish) but a third cycle with new fish (6+3) the prazi will in theory degrade too fast and won't work!
did I get it right?
so what am i supposed to do? empty disinfect with bleach, aquarium and media and do a new cycle?

Nobody really knows the speed at which the bacteria can degrade prazi, it probably varies by tank. Here is the paper that discovered this issue:

In my opinion, it takes about 5 doses before the bacteria breaks it down too fast for it to work. Yes, bleaching the tank and starting over is the best work-around for this between batches of fish.

Jay

OP
OP
Gildo

Gildo

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody really knows the speed at which the bacteria can degrade prazi, it probably varies by tank. Here is the paper that discovered this issue:

In my opinion, it takes about 5 doses before the bacteria breaks it down too fast for it to work. Yes, bleaching the tank and starting over is the best work-around for this between batches of fish.

Jay
Thanks for the reply!
interesting article!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back