Help with cycle, 0 Nitrites 0.25 ammonia and 3.1 nitrates

AlexVic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m trying to cycle a 40 gallon tank with fish pellets and Dr Tim’s bacteria. It’s been over 2 weeks and I wasn’t able to detect nitrite with api test kits. My ammonia is slowly decreasing and my nitrates is slowly increasing when I do tests with Hanna checkers once a day. Is my tank cycled?

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
API ammonia test? If so, then yes you’re good to go. API ammonia will read .25 even if it’s 0

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ammonia hits zero should be good. I always do a sizable water change at that point and monitor another couple days before adding any creatures. Once zeroed it is more important how fast your tank can convert the ammonia than actual levels. This conversion is what keeps the fish healthy.

OP
OP
A

AlexVic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ammonia hits zero should be good. I always do a sizable water change at that point and monitor another couple days before adding any creatures. Once zeroed it is more important how fast your tank can convert the ammonia than actual levels. This conversion is what keeps the fish healthy.
I haven’t done a water change at all. So how many gallons should it be?

Last edited:

robottaway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how high the nitrates are. I would shoot for getting those down around 5-10. I would not do more than 20% so 8 gallons. If that doesn’t get you in range just wait a couple days and repeat. Once stable adding one or two fish to the tank and letting tank adjust to them is advised. You can have a bad time adding too many at once at such an early stage.

OP
OP
A

AlexVic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how high the nitrates are. I would shoot for getting those down around 5-10. I would not do more than 20% so 8 gallons. If that doesn’t get you in range just wait a couple days and repeat. Once stable adding one or two fish to the tank and letting tank adjust to them is advised. You can have a bad time adding too many at once at such an early stage.
My nitrates is at 3.1 right now should i still consider doing a water change?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back