Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alk swing is likely the cause and if so, no, there's not a lot you can do to help. DO NOT try to lower alk back to 8, as this will be another large swing that the coral might react poorly to. Slowly lower the alk (and slowly correct the other parameters)...

Corals.com

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An alk swing is likely the cause and if so, no, there's not a lot you can do to help. DO NOT try to lower alk back to 8, as this will be another large swing that the coral might react poorly to. Slowly lower the alk (and slowly correct the other parameters)...
Yes I should have mentioned this in my last post. Do the water changes but little at a time to drop it back down slowly.

Top Shelf Aquatics

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god there is hope on this forum lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thank you! is tissue recession a bad sign? can it still recover?
It can recover from recession but not bailout (where the polyp separates from the skeleton)

p1u5h13r4m24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If were talking about alk swings, why are corals that come out of different systems dipped and then go straight into you tank okay?
Sometimes they’re not. It’s usually sps that don’t like major swings. However it’s not so much the swing but the bottom or the top of the swing that can cause this.

OP
OP
N

Nathan Nguyen

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches for me have been a great indicator of stable Alk. The jump from 8 to 12 dKh is substantial and your Mag being as low as it is prevents stability. Focus on bringing Mag up which will help keep Alk stable and let Alk drop naturally as its consumed. Getting it out of too much flow will help prevent more damage as well, but the water quality instability is what needs to be fixed first.
I'm going to test the Alk and Mag again and will dose Mag if needed. If it's not better, i would try KFC dip. I'm doing research of it. I can see a lot of people using this method for their torches

Nutramar Foods

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If were talking about alk swings, why are corals that come out of different systems dipped and then go straight into you tank okay?
Well you're also drip acclimating (hopefully). He stated that this swing was due to a water change. Plus like previously stated most LFS aren't running at 12dkh so the change isn't as big

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral, and euphyllia/ fimbriaphyllia in particular, can be damaged/injured/etc several weeks before showing any signs, and by that time it's way too late to save them.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back