Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happening to my torch? The tissues falling off. How can i save it please?
Please see the video and image.

I tested the water last night:
Ca: 450
Mg: 1260 - 1290
Kh: 11.8 - 12.1
NO3: 4.4
PO4: .03 to .05

RenderedImage.jpg
RenderedImage.jpg

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What happening to my torch? The tissues falling off. How can i save it please?
Please see the video and image.

I tested the water last night:
Ca: 450
Mg: 1260 - 1290
Kh: 11.8 - 12.1
NO3: 4.4
PO4: .03 to .05

View attachment 3057324

View attachment 3057327 View attachment 3057325
This is not an alk issue although elevated. What you have is tissue recession and location is not helping. They are best at upper half of tank where they can receive proper light and water flow. Too little or too much flow will cause this.
Torch require typical parameters which you have IF accurate including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm
Mag 1300-1350

Torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain shrunken if the flow is too fast because the polyps can be torn off in high current.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with its inner zooxanthellae which lives inside its tissues that converts the light energy which feeds the coral. While its possible to keep a torch without any feeding at all, feeding is beneficial and I feed mine Mysis shrimp.
The best location for a torch coral is where it gets moderate to medium water flow and medium-intensity lighting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nathan Nguyen

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not an alk issue although elevated. What you have is tissue recession and location is not helping. They are best at upper half of tank where they can receive proper light and water flow. Too little or too much flow will cause this.
Ph of about 8.2
Mag 1300-1350

Like most large polyp stony corals, torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae which lives inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar and split their harvest and feed the coral. While its possible to keep a torch without any feeding at all, feeding is beneficial and I feed mine Mysis shrimp.
The best location for a torch coral is where it gets moderate to medium water flow and medium-intensity lighting.
thank you! is tissue recession a bad sign? can it still recover?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

KK's Reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with other posters. Your mag is a bit on the low end. PO4 is low compared to your Alk.

If you can get your hands on some KFC dip, I hear it does wonders for euphyllia.

But for now, you can bring the alk down slowly with smaller water changes (although that will bring your PO4 and NO3 down also).

OP
OP
N

Nathan Nguyen

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with other posters. Your mag is a bit on the low end. PO4 is low compared to your Alk.

If you can get your hands on some KFC dip, I hear it does wonders for euphyllia.

But for now, you can bring the alk down slowly with smaller water changes (although that will bring your PO4 and NO3 down also).
honestly I didnt know what KFC dip was till you said. I dip my corals with Seachem Dip. I will do more research for the KFC dip

ptrick21186

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I prefer Popeyes over KFC personally.....

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
N

Nathan Nguyen

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow seems okay.
is that other torch newer? My first torches i killed from having too much flow and par.
After that, make sure nothing is aggravating it.
If all those look okay, try lugol dip or KFC dip.
thank you! i will try with KFC dip

AquaCave Logo Banner

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph of about 8.2
Mag 1300-1350

Like most large polyp stony corals, torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
Torch coral is a photosynthetic coral which has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae which lives inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar and split their harvest and feed the coral. While its possible to keep a torch without any feeding at all, feeding is beneficial and I feed mine Mysis shrimp.
This advice was copied directly from https://www.aquariumcreationsonline.net/GreenTorchCoral.html. <smh>

Feel free to follow the link for other info on your coral.

Fishjayfonz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches for me have been a great indicator of stable Alk. The jump from 8 to 12 dKh is substantial and your Mag being as low as it is prevents stability. Focus on bringing Mag up which will help keep Alk stable and let Alk drop naturally as its consumed. Getting it out of too much flow will help prevent more damage as well, but the water quality instability is what needs to be fixed first.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back