Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, looking to ship corals to NJ. Im in FL. I am at a crossroads though because temperature in FL is hot, but temp in NJ is cold. Therefore i have to add a heat pack i feel like but then i'm scared it would overheat in the time its in FL. Any experienced coral shippers want to chime in and help me out.

Corals.com

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk to the shipper and find out the latest drop off time that will still make the overnight shipping. Use a styrofoam cooler. Place a thick layer of newspaper between the coral and the heat pack. If you can, get the delivery scheduled for as early as possible the next day, often they have several options for delivery windows. There are different types of heat packs that vary in the time it takes to reach peak temps. If it will be in FL for 8-12 hours after packing, pick one that takes longer to reach peak temps. You could also add a small ice pack that will become ineffective in a few hours to help balance the temp if you’re really concerned.

Too hot is definitely worse than too cold. Coral can die fast (less than an hour) in extreme heat. They’ll survive colder temps for hours even days if not too extreme.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back