Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things. First: 20ppm nitrate isn't anything worth worrying about. That won't really negatively impact anything in the tank. If I were you the only thing I would do is feed a little less maybe if at all.

Second. Your tank's youth is what is causing the nitrates. Even with lots of fast growing corals and chaeto, a two month tank will have nitrates elevated. It takes a little longer for bacterial colonies to start processing nitrate into free nitrogen. Give it some time.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

1stNoel

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start looking at some of the threads regarding Red Sea's "NO-POx". I had nitrates hovering around 16 ppm, and could never get them lower (even after using biopellets for 2 months).

Within 3 to 4 weeks of using NO-POx, my levels were down below 1 ppm. Just make sure to test every 3 to 4 days (never dose anything you can't test for), and adjust the dose accordingly. It takes about a week to start taking effect, but then you'll see the levels start dropping. If you like to feed your tank (and I think we all do), then this is a good way of keeping NO in check while feeding as much as you like.

If I had a list of "things I wish I knew about before I started reefing", this product is definitely one of them. I was unknowingly starving corals for a long time because I was chasing an NO number by adjusting the amount of nutrients I was adding (rookie mistake...we all have 'em)...whereas with this, I can feed all I want and adjust the dose accordingly. My corals now look happy and healthy.

Food for thought. Hope this helps...

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back