Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the readsea doser pump I only use 2 dose pump due to only dosing alkand Calcium on the daily. I dose mag once a week. I have started dosing some trace manually but wouldnt worry about it for awhile. The read sea 4 pump or 2 extremally helpful simple and easy. I use 2 part from bulk reef supply calcium and soda ash.

I use salifert alk test kit, Mag test kit ammonia test kit, Redsea Calcium pro kit, and I use Red sea for Nitrates but its hard to read would probably recommend Salifert. API reef master as a backup don't trust results accurately but if I get a weird test result its good to have a backup that's simple to make sure the test kit was accurate. Plus it was only 25 bucks. To be truthful I don't test phosphate but if I did it would be a Hannah checker. I did at the start but once the test kit said it was lower then .05 I stopped Don't do this for a year but once a year i get an ICP to make sure nothing is out of wack that I don't test for.

Just test for ammonia nitrite nitrate and salinity at start. Once your through the cycle you can worry about other stuff. like alk ph and cal and mag. Start with ATO that comes with tank and figure out how much you are losing don't run before you can jog.

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the readsea doser pump I only use 2 dose pump due to only dosing alkand Calcium on the daily. I dose mag once a week. I have started dosing some trace manually but wouldnt worry about it for awhile. The read sea 4 pump or 2 extremally helpful simple and easy. I use 2 part from bulk reef supply calcium and soda ash.

I use salifert alk test kit, Mag test kit ammonia test kit, Redsea Calcium pro kit, and I use Red sea for Nitrates but its hard to read would probably recommend Salifert. API reef master as a backup don't trust results accurately but if I get a weird test result its good to have a backup that's simple to make sure the test kit was accurate. Plus it was only 25 bucks. To be truthful I don't test phosphate but if I did it would be a Hannah checker. I did at the start but once the test kit said it was lower then .05 I stopped Don't do this for a year but once a year i get an ICP to make sure nothing is out of wack that I don't test for.

Just test for ammonia nitrite nitrate and salinity at start. Once your through the cycle you can worry about other stuff. like alk ph and cal and mag. Start with ATO that comes with tank and figure out how much you are losing don't run before you can jog.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been told I need to slow down a lot lol. I have a bad habit of jumping into things and getting the best of the best and it usually ends up with me selling everything because I get bored of it. As far as the ato goes I’m probably overthinking how much of a pain it is because right now in my 20g I don’t have a ato so I manually do it every day and it seems like I am constantly going through water. Maybe once I have a ato and only have to fill it once a week or so it won’t be that bad.

Cali Reef Life

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been told I need to slow down a lot lol. I have a bad habit of jumping into things and getting the best of the best and it usually ends up with me selling everything because I get bored of it. As far as the ato goes I’m probably overthinking how much of a pain it is because right now in my 20g I don’t have a ato so I manually do it every day and it seems like I am constantly going through water. Maybe once I have a ato and only have to fill it once a week or so it won’t be that bad.
Yeah man slow it down enjoy it and think about it if that ATO last 5 to 9 days its not bad to refill and rather buy something like an ink bird tempture monitor and so on there is like 50 cool things to get but get through cycle figure out coral live stock and then worry about adding on.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! How do u like those wave makers? I was thinking either mp40 or a reefwave 25 on the side to pair with my Nero 5’s
The ReefWave45s I'm running work great - definitely recommend them.

Is a manifold worth building from the start or is it not worth the hassle? My dad just uses the brs gfo and carbon reactor but it’s a little bit ugly lol.
It all depends. I run the Nyos stand-alone reactors so I don't need a manifold - but sometimes if you're pressed for space having a manifold can make it easier to run various reactors, UVs, etc.

reefah

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am relatively new to the hobby so I am in desperate need of some input to make the least amount of regrets as possible down the road. I bought a Red Sea reefer 350 g2 that should be here in the next few weeks and I will go over my list of gear I have/need some help deciding. I can provide pictures of my aquascape if it helps to decide how many’s powerheads or lighting would be best

Tank goals
For this tank I don’t plan for it to be some super high end or fancy tank since it is my first tank and I’m bound to kill a lot of stuff. So it is going to be a mixed reef with mostly hammers,torches,monti cap, a nem and a few sps on my top shelf. My preference is the bright colors that have lots of movement but that could change down the road.

Current gear
80lbs of live Fiji pink sand
85lbs of dry rock which I probably only used 60
2x 200w heaters for some redundancy
2x ai Nero 5 power heads (will need more in the future)

Gear I need help on
Skimmer
Return pump
Lighting
Any other tips/products that help in the long run

My thought
For a skimmer I am leaning towards the rsk 300 mostly due to the fact that I like the brand and I’m a fan of the tube to drain the cup. Now my only 2 concerns are that I would eventually be nearly maxing out the recommended bioload at 75g and also it’s an ac pump and I am trying to keep the tank as quiet as possible.

For my return pump I have 3 options in mind. If your opinion is that a sicce silent 4 won’t be too loud then I will probably go that route because of ac reliability. As far as dc goes I’m between the reef octopus and Neptune pumps. I like the Core pumps because it will hook up to my future apex and then I like the reef octopus because who doesn’t like saving a few bucks

For lighting I am definitely leaning toward 2 radions because I have first hand experience with them on my dads 400g and they look amazing. I know ideally 3 would provide better spread but I would rather put that extra 500 elsewhere in the tank until I get sps that needs the extra light. I also like the idea of ai prime because of the app and also I can add more lights for cheaper to provide better spread. Given the lights are not as strong.

For Flow my Nero 5’s will be on the back wall because I hate seeing powerheads and cords. Although I could add more to the back to help flow I am leaning toward a mp40 on the side since there will be no cords in the tank and it provides a clean look. Or do u think the 2 Nero 5 are enough for a mixed reef.

thanks for everyone’s input.
Get three reefled 90’s! It’s what I use for my 350!
image.jpg

OP
OP
ajshepherd17

ajshepherd17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8BF7A7B6-8587-4F70-9F44-CF9618A957AF.jpeg
491F6836-D937-48F7-857A-795D75C46B7D.jpeg
B1910498-03CD-40AD-B3E7-2B07EAD20373.jpeg
23305B79-54D4-4916-89E2-EE62CDB0AFBF.jpeg

FINALLY!!!!! The tank came and I set it up in a few hours. Next step is add some turbostart and let the cycle begin. Any tips on getting this live sand to settle? It’s been a little over 24 hours and i through filter floss in the media baskets and it seemed to help.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back