+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have had a Royal Gramma in my tank for about six months now. The fish is usually somewhat shy, only coming out of the hiding spots for an hour or two every day when the lights are off, and usually during feedings.

Yesterday, I found the fish on the sandbed and acting very lethargic. I immediately moved it to my quarantine tank, was very easy to catch which is not normal. This is my first sick fish so I am not entirely sure what to do next. It seems to be hanging out on the bottom of the tank, and occasionally trying to swim. No response to food. I'll post a video of one of the swimming attempts. I'm thinking Ich or Velvet (hopefully not). Hopefully I can nurse him back to health!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't breathing fast enough to be velvet. It is however, breathing very deeply. The fish's color is good and body condition is also. I can't rule out a spinal injury, though those are pretty rare, you really need to have a rock collapse or something for a fish to be injured like that.

At this point, I also can't rule out gill flukes (but I would have thought they would have shown up within 2 1/2 months, not six. Still, there isn't much to lose in giving the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip - it isn't likely to survive in this condition unless you try something. If it survives the dip and improves a bit after 24 hours, then that would confirm gill flukes and you could treat your tank with Prazipro two times.

Jay

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't breathing fast enough to be velvet. It is however, breathing very deeply. The fish's color is good and body condition is also. I can't rule out a spinal injury, though those are pretty rare, you really need to have a rock collapse or something for a fish to be injured like that.

At this point, I also can't rule out gill flukes (but I would have thought they would have shown up within 2 1/2 months, not six. Still, there isn't much to lose in giving the fish a 5 minute freshwater dip - it isn't likely to survive in this condition unless you try something. If it survives the dip and improves a bit after 24 hours, then that would confirm gill flukes and you could treat your tank with Prazipro two times.

Jay
Thanks for your help, I just read the thread on freshwater dips and will post back with an update. My rock is all stax rock in layers, so very stable.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip complete! I do have some MetroPlex would that be similar to the Prazipro?
No, metroplex is anti-protozoan and Prazipro is for use against worms and flukes. General Cure combines both ingredients.
Jay

Corals.com

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds exactly what my gramma did, it maybe not sick, mine hide for 5 months then like yours came out on the sand bed, I thought it was dying turns out it was in breeding mode, and started building a nest by digging in the sand, at one point I got the net as I thought it had died as it was acting so different to how it was the first few months.

AS
OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: The fish seems to be moving a bit more than before the freshwater dip, still not eating though :(. When he is moving, it seems like he is trying to brush up against the walls of the tank.

Will continue Prazipro and hope for the best. Thanks for the help.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

sixline

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good News: Today I was able to get him to eat 2 Hikari pellets! I tried mysis first but he didn't seem interested in that. I'm just glad to see things improving. Hopefully the Prazipro keeps helping.

It it were me, I would have take the mysis shrimp over the hikari pellets. Those things taste terrible!

Glad to hear he's doing better. Starting to eat is a really good sign.

OP
OP
TurboDan

TurboDan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It it were me, I would have take the mysis shrimp over the hikari pellets. Those things taste terrible!

Glad to hear he's doing better. Starting to eat is a really good sign.
Thats what I would have thought too! I was super worried at first but glad I tried both foods.

Nutramar Foods

str8fan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours are kind of doing the same. We have 2 tanks and 1 RG in each. We've had 1 for 7 months a d the other for 4 ½ months. The "older" one has always been extremely shy and hides in the rocks if anyone is around. She comes out during feedings and if no one is around. She was alone in the tank for a bit, but shortly after shares the tank with a Fire Fish (who is also extremely shy and hides) and we added a Goby. All very shy, go figure. Our tank looks empty.. Anyway, about a month and a half or so they both, again in different tanks, started laying vertically against the glass, on the sand bed and on the rocks. At one point I thought each had died and got the net and they moved away. They do that for awhile then they go into the rock again. They come out at feedings still and eat normally. They will come out at times and swim around just fine. The "younger" one was shy when we first got her, however she came out of that and shared the tank with her mates very well, but has gone back to hiding all the time now. I'm so confused. Any ideas about this? It's similar to Turbo Dan, but not exactly. I was interested in the breeding mode, however, would it last this long?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back