Help me understand why you love reefing (grad school project)

BRS

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks huge :D Will be a stunner once it matures.

If things start to go wrong, then it is discomfortable for me and I get very stressed. Most of the time I enjoy the up-keeping though. I would definitely like solutions, which would make the up-keeping simpler and easier. For example, I hate carrying water buckets. Feeding is usually the most entertaining time as it is fun to observe the behaviour.
Thanks.
With this tank I was determined to not carry any buckets of water. I have a pump that removes water from the sump when I turn it on. I have a mixing barrel with pump that can be turned from mix to put that water in the sump. I do put 2ea 32 gallon rubbermaid brute trash cans in the back of the truck and fill those when doing a water change. I dump those up on the road. Its gravel and helps keep the dust down. The only time I need to lift water buckets is when I fill a fish QT tank.
I do have a cyano issue that I should really work on. I was hoping it would just go away. Its red where the sunlight hit it and green where only the tank lights hit it. The green disappears at night. The red recedes to about 1/2 its size at night. Oh and the bubble algae. The emerald crabs are working on it. It is not spreading any more. I will give them a few more weeks before I add more crabs.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
With this tank I was determined to not carry any buckets of water. I have a pump that removes water from the sump when I turn it on. I have a mixing barrel with pump that can be turned from mix to put that water in the sump. I do put 2ea 32 gallon rubbermaid brute trash cans in the back of the truck and fill those when doing a water change. I dump those up on the road. Its gravel and helps keep the dust down. The only time I need to lift water buckets is when I fill a fish QT tank.
I do have a cyano issue that I should really work on. I was hoping it would just go away. Its red where the sunlight hit it and green where only the tank lights hit it. The green disappears at night. The red recedes to about 1/2 its size at night. Oh and the bubble algae. The emerald crabs are working on it. It is not spreading any more. I will give them a few more weeks before I add more crabs.

I read from somewhere, that cyano is (at least partly) caused by bacterial imbalance in the system. Have you thought of adding nitrifying bacteria to increase the amount of good bacteria? Increasing flow in the affected areas with few additional powerheads might do the trick.

Oh I just realized you had a link to your tank thread, will check it out :)

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahhaa We have read the same things. I have been saving my money. Next week I get another mp60 power head. I was also going to pick up some different bottles of bacteria. I did turn my white light down about 10%. All of this might just make it hard for it to grow.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RC
Back