Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this riccordia for about a month (no clue of type - just know it’s an riccordia) and it’s always looked so scrunched up and unhappy. I’ve had it in the middle of my tank - then it folded up like an oyster - and now I’ve had it on the bottom of my tank and this is how it looks. It’s spitting its guts out as I type. Is it the algae growing on its frag rock? Am I just not suited for riccordia? I have a three headed Dunkin, anthelia, birds nest, a purple gargonian, GSP, a hairy mushroom and favia all doing FANTASTIC in here.
I’m running at

PH 8.2,
nitrate 2,
Phosphate .4,
Calcium 492,
Magnesium 1364,
Salinity 1.026.
IMG_4577.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this riccordia for about a month (no clue of type - just know it’s an riccordia) and it’s always looked so scrunched up and unhappy. I’ve had it in the middle of my tank - then it folded up like an oyster - and now I’ve had it on the bottom of my tank and this is how it looks. It’s spitting its guts out as I type. Is it the algae growing on its frag rock? Am I just not suited for riccordia? I have a three headed Dunkin, anthelia, birds nest, a purple gargonian, GSP, a hairy mushroom and favia all doing FANTASTIC in here.
I’m running at

PH 8.2,
nitrate 2,
Phosphate .4,
Calcium 492,
Magnesium 1364,
Salinity 1.026. View attachment 3138452
Alk?

How stable is it?

Your phosphate is a bit high

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow or light could be irritating it too.
Or it got nothing to do with what you are doing,I had a orange ric for a year and all it done was slowly shrink to nothing while the other rics did fine.
We don't know how these corals lived before we got them so it can be hard to make them happy sometimes

OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow or light could be irritating it too.
Or it got nothing to do with what you are doing,I had a orange ric for a year and all it done was slowly shrink to nothing while the other rics did fine.
We don't know how these corals lived before we got them so it can be hard to make them happy sometimes
What should I aim for in flow or light? High flow, low flow, high light, med light? Or just give me a random spot to try in the tank haha. Anything is better than nothing at the moment it just makes me sad to see it so sad.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Kmst80

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I don't know. My rics are all further down in the tank so get less light. Flow is more reduced to medium, but like I said this ric could have been in darkness in the ocean and now you blast it with light or the opposite. Same with flow. A bit of trial and error.
I wish you good luck with it.

Avast
OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4786.jpeg

Can anyone please help me with this sad sad riccordia? Or mushroom? It was looking bad and now it’s looking worse. I had it in a shadier spot underneath rock work and now it has started turning white. I’m at a loss for what to do - I really don’t want to lose this guy if it’s possible.IMG_4785.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3171986

Can anyone please help me with this sad sad riccordia? Or mushroom? It was looking bad and now it’s looking worse. I had it in a shadier spot underneath rock work and now it has started turning white. I’m at a loss for what to do - I really don’t want to lose this guy if it’s possible.View attachment 3171994
Keep it low on the sand and in a low lit area but not in the shade.
Rics turn white when shaded too much.

You can try to spot feed it with something like gonipower but usually in this state they will keep declining.

Have you been successful reducing your p04?

How often are you tracking parameters and keeping them stable?

OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it low on the sand and in a low lit area but not in the shade.
Rics turn white when shaded too much.

You can try to spot feed it with something like gonipower but usually in this state they will keep declining.

Have you been successful reducing your p04?

How often are you tracking parameters and keeping them stable?
I have been bad. I have been using my Duncan and Gargonian as a way to tell me when parameters are off. I have not had a chance to test pO4… I will take a sample to my LFS on Tuesday or Wednesday to get a more accurate reading. I did just do a 4G water change 3 days ago, and before that two weeks ago. It is a 20G system. I do have a small pouch of GFO on hand if needed. Everyone else seems to be thriving but this guy so I thought it was just a one off - but he’s holding in there barely. I read that putting them In the shade to let them recover is a good tactic but now it seems I just hurt him more.

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its ricordea they like light man. And food. I had low light in my old 150 mostly fish with easy corals tank and once i got a new t5 fixture and moved them up and pounded them with light they took off. Feeding a couple times a week something meaty helps too. They will move chunks with their tenacles right over to their mouth like a anemome. I think ricordea unlike most mushrooms come from shallow tidal zones where they get pounded with 6500k intense sun light. Our blue tanks dont really cut it for them i dont believe

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
LunacyEmber

LunacyEmber

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its ricordea they like light man. And food. I had low light in my old 150 mostly fish with easy corals tank and once i got a new t5 fixture and moved them up and pounded them with light they took off. Feeding a couple times a week something meaty helps too. They will move chunks with their tenacles right over to their mouth like a anemome. I think ricordea unlike most mushrooms come from shallow tidal zones where they get pounded with 6500k intense sun light. Our blue tanks dont really cut it for them i dont believe
Even in the state it’s in - would moving him up hopefully help him recover ?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not move it to high light right away after being shaded. Especially in its current state.
Slowly work your way up a couple days at a time over a couple weeks.

If you arent testing macros and have high nutrients, larger & consistant weekly water changes (think 10-15g) with a dead on salinity meter will net better results for your scenario.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaCave Logo Banner
Back