Help me choose best way to rid of single aiptasia.

BRS

fishmonkey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found an aiptasia on one of my rocks. I am not going to boil the whole rock because I have gsp growing on it. So here are the options I can think of.

1. Take the rock out, cut what I can and blast it with a torch lighter along with anything within one inch of where the aiptasia was. Then smother it with some kalk and maybe put some glue on the spot.

2. Leave it in the tank and put some glue over and or kalk paste it.

3. Peppermint shrimp.

4. Get one of those fancy lasers. ( I feel this is the worst option because I assume this method will cause the aiptasia to spread its babies the most.)

Any other recommendations or modifications are appreciated.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Chris4580

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste works really well. Mix it into a thick slurry, turn off all pumps, use an eyedropper and drop the slurry right on top of it! Wait 5-10 and turn everything back on. I've had the occasional one pop up in one of my tanks and it works every time.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste works really well. Mix it into a thick slurry, turn off all pumps, use an eyedropper and drop the slurry right on top of it! Wait 5-10 and turn everything back on. I've had the occasional one pop up in one of my tanks and it works every time.
I’m a little scared about a ph swing with the slurry. Am I too worried about that?

NE reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,
Please take my reply with a grain of salt as I’m only 2 years into building my reef tank. However, I’d recommend option #3 try and let nature do it’s thing. It’s worked for me in the past. Another option is swing past your LFS , pick up a nice frag and with a generous amount of glue place the frag onto of the little pest

albano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 2. Too small an amount to have a meaningful effect on parameters. I do multiples at a time. Make the paste thick and turn off flow for a while.

I find a syringe works better than a dropper because it will pull in a thicker mixture.

AS

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FBC1C0EE-E038-4B9D-8F81-6D6E81E25178.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit that has a high chance of working but I wouldn't do it on full mass

The anemone needs removed via flathead screwdriver, tapped up under and take the anemone plus some rock out like a golf divot. Then hit that clean area with directed fire such as a windproof jet lighter or a torch if you're not playing around, burn the leftovers

You'll be amazed to see how well wet live rock radiates away any applied heat. It retains none. I've torched algae before and the spot is cool too the touch even after 10 seconds direct flame. People who study insulation ought to look at live reef rock lol

BRS

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed lasers will be a cool thing you can burn paper with from across the room but not helpful in reefing, too fragmenting. those pedal cells exist right out of line of sight, tucked inside little crevices like abutments in the wall of the grand canyon.

but not out of the line of site of a screwdriver head he he

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a little scared about a ph swing with the slurry. Am I too worried about that?
Not if you are just nuking one, no. You should be fine. Maybe I missed it, but what is your tank volume?

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe hang out and see what happens? I have 1 largeish aptasia, and about 5 baby ones. I am going to wait it out and order Bergai Nudibranchs if things escalate.
+1 on the berghia nudibranchs , aptasia is their only diet, plus they can get into all the nooks and crannies and places that can’t be reached.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back