HELP!!!!! Is this normal for a elegance??????

The wet one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this unit for 3 years. The past 2 months I’ve noticed skeleton. Dipped it with a good response but still showing skeleton when flow is low.
9F4CF6BA-2E58-4FBD-8D88-89FA20D87F6D.jpeg
F6AE75A2-801C-423A-BAD0-2ACDB2009400.jpeg

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for your experience but trying to scare a member into thinking a specific coral will die is silly.

@fishguy242
@sfin52

Both have kept an elegance over a year.

Uhh how is he trying to scare him? He’s just pointing out that people have poor luck with them and that is true.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s bail out. Something is upsetting it .
Anything from parameter swings . Pests , something in the tank picking at it .
too high of flow ,

there used to be a disease common for elegance corals . And think it was similar to bjd .

one more thing .
Do you feed it ?
They don’t require food but they will
Benefit from feeding
I just thought of this but I have a wave maker that’s 1600gph on the lowest setting and lowest intervals, so I’d imaging it’s half of the manufacturer’s specks. Am I ripping it up? It’s a 150g with a sump pump at about 600gph on high 24/7

Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Uhh how is he trying to scare him? He’s just pointing out that people have poor luck with them and that is true.
Because the next question the OP asked was if it was basically just going to die then.

Upvote 0

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So basically it’s going to die no matter what?
NO just because something is harder to keep for some does not mean it is hard for everyone.

Upvote 0

Bladezz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for your experience but trying to scare a member into thinking a specific coral will die is silly.

@fishguy242
@sfin52

Not trying to scare (yeah I'm sharing my experience) but more showing the research and discussions just here on R2R.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@fishguy242
@sfin52

Sure have got it the size of a quarter now the size of a tennis ball. I got it the October 2020.
20201031_221643.jpg

20220821_093636.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a few weeks since I posted. Well here’s what’s been happening. First of all I noticed flatworms so I added a watermelon wrasse and an arrow crab (both dumb and only ate 3 out of the 5 I can spot). Secondly my coris wrasse that’s about 7” long likes to sleep under the elegance. The coral hasn’t gotten worse or any better. It’s neutral. BUT my hammer torch is going through STN as of today. I just sent out an ICP test. I’m going to try something new with the hammer torch and dip it in Melafix. Tank mates are a flame angel, damsel, 3 clowns, the previously discussed wrasses (coris and watermelon), turbo snails, 2 herms, barbershop goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Any dips for the elegance someone can recommend? I’m only worried about the elegance because I’ve had it 3 years.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s been a few weeks since I posted. Well here’s what’s been happening. First of all I noticed flatworms so I added a watermelon wrasse and an arrow crab (both dumb and only ate 3 out of the 5 I can spot). Secondly my coris wrasse that’s about 7” long likes to sleep under the elegance. The coral hasn’t gotten worse or any better. It’s neutral. BUT my hammer torch is going through STN as of today. I just sent out an ICP test. I’m going to try something new with the hammer torch and dip it in Melafix. Tank mates are a flame angel, damsel, 3 clowns, the previously discussed wrasses (coris and watermelon), turbo snails, 2 herms, barbershop goby and tiger pistol shrimp. Any dips for the elegance someone can recommend? I’m only worried about the elegance because I’ve had it 3 years.
Arrow crab typically eats worms like bristle and can or may go after meaty coral in search of food, not the coral. A springieri damsel would have been a safer bet with the flatworm, But if you only see a few, siphoning them them with 3/8" hose will also be effective
The issue you may be having with elegance is . . . If you saw 5 flatworms, there is a chance they have deposited eggs in a very inconspicuous location and eggs Very tiny. With a flashlight, look for small clusters which can or may have hatched new FW and you cant yet see them
Other things to confirm on elegance:
Assure the tentacles flow gently, like leaves in a light wind. Too little and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing the delicate polyps. The proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, ensuring they remain nourished. And you’ll see the typical sweeping movement as they drift in the current and also assure they are getting good, not strong light needed for production of energy as they are photosynthetic.

Upvote 0

Koty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers too thick for a cellphone...
Mysis and reefroids are not enough IME. Feed it chunks of somthing. Mussels are the best. Do it at night so that wrasses will not steal it. Also they do appreciate significant flow and stability of alkalinity is a prerequisit. My phosphate run from near 0 to 0.15 and nitrates from 0 to 15 but it does not care. UV is also recomended. In my tank loss of elegance has always been associated with alkalinity instability. I now have two. This one is about a year old and became a giant:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The wet one

The wet one

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrow crab typically eats worms like bristle and can or may go after meaty coral in search of food, not the coral. A springieri damsel would have been a safer bet with the flatworm, But if you only see a few, siphoning them them with 3/8" hose will also be effective
The issue you may be having with elegance is . . . If you saw 5 flatworms, there is a chance they have deposited eggs in a very inconspicuous location and eggs Very tiny. With a flashlight, look for small clusters which can or may have hatched new FW and you cant yet see them
Other things to confirm on elegance:
Assure the tentacles flow gently, like leaves in a light wind. Too little and elegance corals will not thrive. Too much flow and you risk tearing the delicate polyps. The proper flow brings nutrients to the polyps, ensuring they remain nourished. And you’ll see the typical sweeping movement as they drift in the current and also assure they are getting good, not strong light needed for production of energy as they are photosynthetic.
It’s gotten worse since the arrow crab was put in. Maybe he’s picking at it. Flow is fine, I used to frag SPS till I ran out of free time to be super active on the frags and sold my colonies. I’m thinking it has worms because today I woke up to half of it gone. Literally overnight it depleted half of its self. It’s a little bigger then a softball. I suppose maybe I’m not feeding it enough meat?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It’s gotten worse since the arrow crab was put in. Maybe he’s picking at it. Flow is fine, I used to frag SPS till I ran out of free time to be super active on the frags and sold my colonies. I’m thinking it has worms because today I woke up to half of it gone. Literally overnight it depleted half of its self. It’s a little bigger then a softball. I suppose maybe I’m not feeding it enough meat?
Yikes, worms possible but may have the typical elegance disease that can hit them

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back