+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you have no free ammonia see this thread as to why

everyone will pick different reasons for your coral issues but it’s not ammonia. Post a full tank picture

Make sure not to ever buy products to reduce ammonia in reefing, it’s already zero for you.

quarantine tanks might can use ammonia help, but a reef never needs it. All cycling charts online show that when ammonia is zero it never hovers back up above zero. A dead fish can cause a spike, but it won’t cause a holding reading.

heres another

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to salt water but things aren't going well. I have a 55 gallon tank with ~40 lbs of live rock. I have 5 fish, A toby puffer fish, a clown pair, a pajama cardinal, and a watchman golby, I also have a clam which I believe is a leafy jewel box (got him accidentally but its doing well). The problem is some, not all of my coral is dying. I did a water change 2 weeks ago, my parameters, are
Salinity: 1.026
KH:10.7
Mg:1900ppm
Calcuim:475ppm
Amonia:0-.1 ppm
Ph:8.3
Nitrate and Nitrite 0 ppm
My light is a coral light and at 64% white and 100% blue as I seen suggested on reef2reef

My corals doing bad are Zoanthas, maze coral, and Trumpet coral in low flow and medium depth, the ones that died are a Hammer coral and a Bubble tip anaome
My corals that are extremely thriving are A button coral, green star grass coral, a green carpeting coral that I dont know what it is, and a circular sps coral I dont know the name of
My fish are doing great. My clam, and clean up crew are also going well

Everything started going wrong when I did a bad thing with an unfortunate event. In one night I changed my filter ( and removed it but transfer all media) from a over the top filter to a canister filter and changed my light level from 80% white 80% blue to 64% white and 100% blue.

HELP What should I do to save my coral and my tank

Full Tank Image

IMG_20200210_220431.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Indytraveler83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the lighting expert here by any means:

But from your picture above, it looks like your lights are right over the water level, and you say blues are running 100%, with whites at 65%?

My lights are at 25% blue and 3% white. Someone better with lights might have more ideas here, but 100% seems off...

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the lighting expert here by any means:

But from your picture above, it looks like your lights are right over the water level, and you say blues are running 100%, with whites at 65%?

My lights are at 25% blue and 3% white. Someone better with lights might have more ideas here, but 100% seems off...

My lights arnt the best so the ratio needs to be higher I had another comment that said to bring them down so thanks for re assuring a possible reason of decay. If you have anyother ideas let me know

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above have mentioned need some trace of po4 and no3 DKH are high to me bug every tank is different. 5 months us young fir a tank if your numbers are stable in range you want. I lost corals around same time thought uglies were over and went to fast. Hope some feeding will get your ni3 and po4 up a bit. Do check expiration on the Red Sea kits I’ve almost been burned by stores telling exp or almost only months left test kits. Last note I’ve messed up before not following RedSea test procedures to the letter each second counts :) Hope someone can give some solid advise on lights not familiar with yours. Best of luck and hang in there.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tank Stop
Back