Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could running carbon be the downfall of my lps. I got this guy a little over a week ago and hasn’t open back up. Or could it be the long tip anemone letting off chemical. Whatever it is, I’ve tried moving him to different locations of the tank. He is away from other coral and anemones. I tried turning my flow off for two days. and still nada.

0926D9CE-45E0-4C33-935B-D027668346BE.jpeg

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could running carbon be the downfall of my lps. I got this guy a little over a week ago and hasn’t open back up. Or could it be the long tip anemone letting off chemical. Whatever it is, I’ve tried moving him to different locations of the tank. He is away from other coral and anemones. I tried turning my flow off for two days. and still nada.

View attachment 3101445

What are your water chemistry numbers?

I'd like to know salinity, pH, calcium and Alk

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

View attachment 3101445Something is definitely off. What about lighting? Any idea what PAR it’s in? How old is the tank? What are the params (temp/salinity/Alk/mag/calcium)?

Upvote 1

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had instances in previous systems where running carbon did upset a number of corals. The reason for it in my case was increasing the clarity of the water caused the PAR to rise quickly and the corals weren't acclimated to the new brighter light reaching them. I dialed back the lights a bit and ran an acclimation period for them and then they were fine.

If the carbon is putting out fine particles due to agitation or too much flow, it could also cause irritation. Try decreasing flow through the carbon or checking par.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
stretchnuts

stretchnuts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3101445
Cal 430
DKH 10
Alk 180
Nitrate .20 or lower
Nitrite 0
PH 7.8-8.3
Salinity .025
Other coral doing ok
i don’t have way to test PAR or mag

Attachments

• 9EE6945E-4A39-4D7A-8181-97FC73BA1F3D.jpeg
    9EE6945E-4A39-4D7A-8181-97FC73BA1F3D.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 7
  • FF22E298-D875-4C00-AE63-55BD86556681.jpeg
    FF22E298-D875-4C00-AE63-55BD86556681.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 7
  • F79E0AED-1608-4EC3-9101-B70DEE43AB00.jpeg
    F79E0AED-1608-4EC3-9101-B70DEE43AB00.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 37DEF240-9DFF-4E81-8D85-FA95F144104E.jpeg
    37DEF240-9DFF-4E81-8D85-FA95F144104E.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had instances in previous systems where running carbon did upset a number of corals. The reason for it in my case was increasing the clarity of the water caused the PAR to rise quickly and the corals weren't acclimated to the new brighter light reaching them. I dialed back the lights a bit and ran an acclimation period for them and then they were fine.

If the carbon is putting out fine particles due to agitation or too much flow, it could also cause irritation. Try decreasing flow through the carbon or checking par.
Wow interesting! Never heard that before, I had issues with carbon just pulling too much nutrients from my system that they bottomed out. I don’t run carbon unless I am trying to pull a medication out of the water

Upvote 1

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3101445

What are your water chemistry numbers?

I'd like to know salinity, pH, calcium and Alk

Upvote 1
Solution
OP
OP
stretchnuts

stretchnuts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m removing the carbon. Water clarity is good. Maybe to clear. I have fluvul smart light that has 10 time points and. I set up blue lights. Neither light illuminates UV

Upvote 0

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m removing the carbon. Water clarity is good. Maybe to clear. I have fluvul smart light that has 10 time points and. I set up blue lights. Neither light illuminates UV
Cal 430
DKH 10
Alk 180
Nitrate .20 or lower
Nitrite 0
PH 7.8-8.3
Salinity .025
Other coral doing ok
i don’t have way to test PAR or mag
Lighting could be an issue - but probably not if everything else looks fine.

How old is the tank? Rock looks pretty new. Also idk if Alk at 180 is right? I assume the dKH is Alk at 10?

Upvote 1

One Reefing Boi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The params seem within reason but as others mentioned, the test strips are very unreliable and API aren’t either. I would recommend taking a water sample to your LFS and have them test it for you.

sometimes coral just doesn’t make it for one reason or another, not much we can do about it and it’s a shame but I have lost coral randomly after having it only a week or so. If everything else is fine I would guess it’s more of an issue with the coral than the tank.

Did you dip it before putting it in your tank? Something like CoralRX or anything like that?

Upvote 1
OP
OP
stretchnuts

stretchnuts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The params seem within reason but as others mentioned, the test strips are very unreliable and API aren’t either. I would recommend taking a water sample to your LFS and have them test it for you.

sometimes coral just doesn’t make it for one reason or another, not much we can do about it and it’s a shame but I have lost coral randomly after having it only a week or so. If everything else is fine I would guess it’s more of an issue with the coral than the tank.

Did you dip it before putting it in your tank? Something like CoralRX or anything like that?
I have taken my water there and they said my water is great.
Nitrate seems low, 10-15 range is good, and I’m not seeing phosphate listed, my lps react poorly to high phosphates
I retested my nitrates today using testing solution instead of strips. Read 10ppm
I will do another full parameter test after work and share the results.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3101445
Each time you make a change you stress the coral. Put it in moderate light and flow and leave it alone for at least a week. Then see if it's looking any better.

Upvote 1

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back