Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. But that fact that it sometimes works is worth trying!
Is it worth trying to food soak any ABX and bind with focus since it's internal? Or just hope enough is absorbed through dosing the water column?

Avast

evolved

[email protected]
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth trying to food soak any ABX and bind with focus since it's internal? Or just hope enough is absorbed through dosing the water column?
Uh, Humblefish? (we're outside my wheelhouse now)

Top Shelf Aquatics

tiggs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, just has me rethinking using PraziPro on wrasses, or at least only doing 50% dosage. Next time around I am going to try General Cure instead. Prophylactic treatments have become such a crapshoot. I am 100% sure I have killed fish with CP, Copper and Prazi... My current QT is down to, hold in a QT and observe, only medicate if I see a reason to.

The Rhomboid is still alive, but I don't expect it to be tomorrow morning. Hanging on by a thread.

That's the exact QT method I choose to follow. I observe for a few weeks, then only treat if I find reason to. My line of thinking is that these fish could have gone through a round of treatment/hyposalinity at the wholesaler, then possibly another at the retail level before arriving in my hands. In some cases, this may have happened over a 2-3 week period.

Granted, it's more of an choice/opinion in my case and there's certainly nothing wrong with proactively treating, but I just prefer to operate this way these days.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the exact QT method I choose to follow. I observe for a few weeks, then only treat if I find reason to. My line of thinking is that these fish could have gone through a round of treatment/hyposalinity at the wholesaler, then possibly another at the retail level before arriving in my hands. In some cases, this may have happened over a 2-3 week period.

Granted, it's more of an choice/opinion in my case and there's certainly nothing wrong with proactively treating, but I just prefer to operate this way these days.

The only problem with Wrasse and observation, is they hardly ever show outward symptoms due to their thick mucus coat. This can put you in a trick bag if you have a tank full of Acanthurus tangs like I do. It's definitely a challenge.

tiggs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem with Wrasse and observation, is they hardly ever show outward symptoms due to their thick mucus coat. This can put you in a trick bag if you have a tank full of Acanthurus tangs like I do. It's definitely a challenge.

That's a very good point, especially with a tank full of acanthurus to consider.

World Wide Corals

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're worried about egg crate injuries, cutting out the middle and overlaying /gluing black bridal tulle (or using a window screen kit) will stop any jumps and be the most gentle thing for them to dart up against. It has a lot of give / flex.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For an internal swim bladder infection, soaking the food with Kanaplex + Focus is exactly what you would want to do. It also wouldn't hurt to dose the water with ABX concurrently.

However, if a "bubble" is visible from the swim bladder area then venting is the only viable option: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/venting-a-swim-bladder-black-cap-basslet.219954/

For spinal injuries, all you can really do is place the fish in an acclimation box or small QT, and hope he recovers. They will continue to eat for weeks with a spinal injury provided it's not too severe. However, if it looks like the fish isn't going to make a recovery, I recommend using MS222 to euthanize (end the suffering): https://pentairaes.com/tricainer-s-topical-anesthetics-ms-222.html

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/11/fish

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Rhomboid number 2 in antibiotics (Furan-2 + Metroplex + Kanaplex) for 8 days now... Still totally upside down. Definitely alive but seems to be getting skinny. Doing my best to target feed it. Really surprised it's not dead. Debating trying to vent it's swim bladder, but it sounds like success is unlikely at best and I don't see an obvious bulge like in the black cap video.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your wrasse doing? Mine is acting very similar to the way yours was on the 5/31 video you posted.

Yours looks basically fine to me. Even in my 5/31 video mine had way less control than yours is showing. Mine is still alive, but 100% upside down at this point and I don't think it's able to eat anymore. I've been treating it with antibiotics for 8 days now and really no signs of improvement.

KMench

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think so? Mines been upside down and doesn’t seem to swim with the same vigor at all that my other wrasse in QT has. Maybe I’m just a bit paranoid after seeing your thread.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many swimming related issues with rhomboid wrasses recently...
I asked my fish guy to tell Sea Dwelling Creatures in hopes that the info gets back to the collectors. Both that I've had this happen with came in looking healthy and didn't start having problems until a week or so in.

Corals.com
OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think so? Mines been upside down and doesn’t seem to swim with the same vigor at all that my other wrasse in QT has. Maybe I’m just a bit paranoid after seeing your thread.
Read up on antibiotics, if you are really worried, start treating. All the indications are that it's some manner of swim bladder infection/disease. I just don't want to tell you to treat it when it may cause more harm than good. On the same note, maybe if I caught the problem sooner... You're call, but do your homework first.

KMench

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to find her deceased today. Still don't see any obvious signs of a problem. Guess I'll never know what the cause was.
2089a2e4-42e6-46d9-a395-707c8eeda986-jpeg.764093

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home to find her deceased today. Still don't see any obvious signs of a problem. Guess I'll never know what the cause was.
2089a2e4-42e6-46d9-a395-707c8eeda986-jpeg.764093
Bummer, I hope you got her at a place that has a warranty. I sent Live Aquaria a note about my recent experiences and hopefully they will pass it along to Quality Marine.

Somehow, after like 9 days of antibiotics and maybe 17 days of QT, mine is still alive, but I don't expect it to recover enough to go in my display (which I am about to pull all the fish out of since I managed to let Ich slip in there unnoticed, displeased is an understatement)...

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

ACC
Back