Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what happened. I have been not paying attention to my tank for a week and all my corals are doing fine. The one coral my green torch is dieing. It’s still alive barely but I need to know what happened.

34029524-B8F3-4663-8860-E936E3D314D0.jpeg BDCE327C-ADEC-4D8F-A401-344708D23DC2.jpeg 23E1F725-B17E-4F6C-88DF-1D04A8674B9B.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answered your own question as to what happened. " I have not been paying attention to my tank for a week".

As others mentioned though need complete parameters and you need to work on your algae situation.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get rid of it for three months will not go away parameters always fine taking phosphate so I don’t know what’s going on
Please define "always fine"

The algae is feeding off something......

Thats whats going on.

Please post your nutrient levels and any husbandry you are performing.

I would start by manually removing the GHA daily.....

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don’t know what happened. I have been not paying attention to my tank for a week and all my corals are doing fine. The one coral my green torch is dieing. It’s still alive barely but I need to know what happened.

View attachment 3120158 View attachment 3120160 View attachment 3120161
Looks like polyp bailout and I believe it was Lavey who stated the lack of attention to tank. While not needing to be baby sat can stress easily due to elevated . . . Temp- salinity-light- flow and nitrate and Phosphate.
Assure their skeletal needs for calcium (390-450) has not fallen also.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get rid of it for three months will not go away parameters always fine taking phosphate so I don’t know what’s going on
Parameters always fine tells us nothing.

Test them now, and list what the results are.
Salinity
Alkalinity
Calcium
Nitrate
Phosphate.

OP
OP
clownfishlord18

clownfishlord18

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to inform that right now I can not test but i will later. I know that i have to watch the tank but fyi I am a kid doing after school activities and still trying to figure it all out no this is not my first tank i have had a tank sence i was 9 I am 13 now so I have learned a thing or too. I have tried manually remove doseing and constent cleaning none have worked.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing is vital to success.
Can not be a later event.
Water chemistry can change quickly, especially in newer systems.
I guess high nitrate and phosphate.

The worst areas seem to coincide with the light hitting the tank from outside. I’d stop that light first, scrub second, balance nutrients, then maintain those levels.

You may need to carbon dose if nitrates are increasing and you can GFO the phosphate out, but real slow on both, and never zero.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would like to inform that right now I can not test but i will later. I know that i have to watch the tank but fyi I am a kid doing after school activities and still trying to figure it all out no this is not my first tank i have had a tank sence i was 9 I am 13 now so I have learned a thing or too. I have tried manually remove doseing and constent cleaning none have worked.
Thats great to hear but some good questions are offered and in concern. Ive been doing this 40 years and still learn a thing or two to this day. I understand busy, but to obtain help- there is info needed. Also realize, your tank may be fine but we dont know that- Torch is a coral that will challenge the most experienced hobbyist and yet be one of the easiest to grow.
Goatbridge mentioned the needed parameters- What tests will you be using later ?

South Carolina has a few good stores. You may also want to double check your readings next week by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal needs to be consistant.
You cant throw in the towel too soon or it WONT work.

do you have any snails in your tank?

BRS
OP
OP
clownfishlord18

clownfishlord18

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats great to hear but some good questions are offered and in concern. Ive been doing this 40 years and still learn a thing or two to this day. I understand busy, but to obtain help- there is info needed. Also realize, your tank may be fine but we dont know that- Torch is a coral that will challenge the most experienced hobbyist and yet be one of the easiest to grow.
Goatbridge mentioned the needed parameters- What tests will you be using later ?

South Carolina has a few good stores. You may also want to double check your readings next week by taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
I have the salifret test kits. and I will take water to my local store. I would love to help I just don't want to ask. Or Pay alot of money.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can be unforgiving, It’s dead so I would remove it as I see some brown goo.

If you are busy with school, that is okay but I would stick to softies in the future. I have a softy tank now as I am also busy.

What is your water source?

The zoas are stretching, either not enough light or trying to get away from the algae.

What is your light?

Nutramar Foods

Frank SM

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor. Buy a nylon brush set (link below, for example). Take every rock out of the tank and scrub it clean of algae. I had a tote of tank water, scrubbed the rock submerged as much as possible, rinsed it with tank water from a bucket, and put it back. This also served as a pretty good water change. I had to do this for my 6 ft 165 gal tank. It took me 4 hours but since then the hair algae hasn't come back. You have a lot of nutrients tied up in the algae. As other folks have mentioned, you need to check your parameters, lights, etc. and get those in check or it will come back.

Don't get discouraged. Play the long game. Good luck!

OP
OP
clownfishlord18

clownfishlord18

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches can be unforgiving, It’s dead so I would remove it as I see some brown goo.

If you are busy with school, that is okay but I would stick to softies in the future. I have a softy tank now as I am also busy.

What is your water source?

The zoas are stretching, either not enough light or trying to get away from the algae.

What is your light?
Air prime 16 hd 8 inch’s from the water

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back