Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, new to reefing, I’ve been searching the internet for solutions but I can’t confidently diagnose this patch - it seems to be worsening (see photos). the clowns have only been in the tank 3 days although my parameters are all fine. I’ve not a clue - any ideas! Thanks!
CD23E12A-11E6-433A-A01C-5A8F931C00B0.jpeg
1639E60F-A48A-4DEF-B729-1562D13CC6A9.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some more background information is needed here, this is a link to some items that are helpful for us to know:

Also, can you tell us what you are seeing on the fish? The photos don't clearly show the symptoms. In the second photo, the smaller clown has some fin damage and in the first photo, there seems to be some discoloration on the fish's stripe above the eye, but I can't see anything else....

Jay

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some more background information is needed here, this is a link to some items that are helpful for us to know:

Also, can you tell us what you are seeing on the fish? The photos don't clearly show the symptoms. In the second photo, the smaller clown has some fin damage and in the first photo, there seems to be some discoloration on the fish's stripe above the eye, but I can't see anything else....

Jay
Hi man ! Thanks for the reply! I’ve gone through the link, noted as follows:

Fish only aquarium (at present), 60L tank (take a few L for the rocks), fluval sponge + bio max filtration (I’m planning on upgrading, I know ! haha)
Tank has been established for 5 days, fish have inhabited it for 3...
Tank is pre-cycle.
26 degrees Celsius, doesn’t fluctuate much at all however we are going through a heatwave here in uk at the moment, personal preference would be at 25.
Salinity 1.025
no ammonia as of yet
rest of my test kits are due to arrive tomorrow, I will test as soon as I get my hands on them.

Fish are respiring as normal, look energised and playful, feeding as normal, only think I can note is they are being bullied by the underwater current abit, however there are many spots where they hide from it, and I do catch them swimming in the current when they want to.

I shall try and get some clear videos/pics now. At first this patch wasn’t alarming, I’m just concerned at the rate of which it is growing. And nice spot with the other fishes fin! I did notice it when I got home with them from the shop, I shall keep a close eye on that too!

Attachments

• IMG_4446.MOV
    13.6 MB
  • IMG_4435.MP4
    13 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi man ! Thanks for the reply! I’ve gone through the link, noted as follows:

Fish only aquarium (at present), 60L tank (take a few L for the rocks), fluval sponge + bio max filtration (I’m planning on upgrading, I know ! haha)
Tank has been established for 5 days, fish have inhabited it for 3...
Tank is pre-cycle.
26 degrees Celsius, doesn’t fluctuate much at all however we are going through a heatwave here in uk at the moment, personal preference would be at 25.
Salinity 1.025
no ammonia as of yet
rest of my test kits are due to arrive tomorrow, I will test as soon as I get my hands on them.

Fish are respiring as normal, look energised and playful, feeding as normal, only think I can note is they are being bullied by the underwater current abit, however there are many spots where they hide from it, and I do catch them swimming in the current when they want to.

I shall try and get some clear videos/pics now. At first this patch wasn’t alarming, I’m just concerned at the rate of which it is growing. And nice spot with the other fishes fin! I did notice it when I got home with them from the shop, I shall keep a close eye on that too!

I can see the spot more clearly now, thanks. I don't think it is Brooklynella - that usually shows up as white mucus, sometimes coming off the fish in strings. This looks more like a bruise under the skin. However, the fact that you say it is growing leads me to think it could be bacterial. Trouble is, it is difficult to treat fish for internal bacterial issues, medicated food is really the only way, and the process is pretty complicated.

The main thing you want to test for in a new tank like this is ammonia. Try to keep it under 0.25 ppm

Temperature and specific gravity are fine.

Jay

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i
I can see the spot more clearly now, thanks. I don't think it is Brooklynella - that usually shows up as white mucus, sometimes coming off the fish in strings. This looks more like a bruise under the skin. However, the fact that you say it is growing leads me to think it could be bacterial. Trouble is, it is difficult to treat fish for internal bacterial issues, medicated food is really the only way, and the process is pretty complicated.

The main thing you want to test for in a new tank like this is ammonia. Try to keep it under 0.25 ppm

Temperature and specific gravity are fine.

Jay
I shall keep a close eye on it- fingers crossed it is just a bruise - thanks !

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back