Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am a new reefer. First off, I want to thank this community for all of the help I’ve found while trying to learn. This community is a plethora of knowledge and I’ve read dozens of hours of information here. I’ve ran a successful planted freshwater tank for about 3 years and I decided I was ready to spend some money and invest some time into getting a reef tank up and running. I’ve always found corals fascinating but wasn’t ready to invest the time or energy needed to get a reef tank going until now.

I am about 3 weeks in now. I followed the guidance here and cycled my tank and have already gone a little crazy with corals but I’m prepared to deal with the challenges that will pop up.

I’m running an IM 14 peninsula with a Mightyjet, Nano 3, AI Prime 16, IM Hydros temp controller, Caribsea pink live sand, dry rock, and just a filter sock for filtration for now.

so far stock is 2 clowns, 3 Zoa frags, a GSP on an island (that is still being shy since I just put him in yesterday, a pulsing Xenia on an island, an Acan, and a Duncan. I am going to resist the urge to add more corals until this tank settles in some more.

my water parameters are:
sal 1.024
Amm 0 (API and Salifert are showing about .25 but I watched my ammonia climb to 2 and then drop back down and hold at .25 for more than a week before adding livestock)
NO2 showing at 4-5 still even after 40% WC
NO3 at 5
PH at 8.0
DKH 10.3
Phosphates at 0 (I’m monitoring and hoping to see it come up a bit as the tank settles)
Calcium 400
Magnesium 1180 (a little low but I used LFS salt water when starting, I will be switching to mixing my own with reef crystals going forward.

have only had livestock in tank for 3 days. I’ve been testing daily since I started the tank. Just wanted to say hello! and thank you for all the help this community has been. If you have any suggestions or see any issues I would be more than happy to hear them!
View attachment 3050728
Welcome!

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back