Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Phil. I kept marines WAY back when I was young and the hobby was in its infancy over 40 years ago. I rejoined the freshwater aquarium hobby about 3 years ago and have been keeping small tanks with mostly bettas. I’d like to get back to marines and have been doing a lot of studying and reading as well as asking a lot of questions at my lfs. The scope of equipment choices though is boggling So I’m having a lot of trouble trying to pick most all of the needed equipment. I found this forum by searching for 20 gallon long marine builds. The primary reasons for this choice is that I have a new one that I never got around to setting up and I am very limited on space for anything larger. I have an Aquaclear HOB filter that I could use and considered a HOB skimmer as well but after more reading I’ve also considered a 10 gallon sump setup. I would welcome advise on suitable light options, wave pumps, skimmers and so on that wouldn’t break the bank. I realize this is a significant investment to setup but I’m not really ever planning to graduate to something larger because as I already said, I don’t have room. I would like to keep a few smaller fish and some of the easier corals. The zoas have really got my attention. So, thanks in advance for any and all advise for the old newbie.

Oh yeah, btw that is my car on my avatar, a 1955 Beetle.

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18320BE3-A091-4ACA-A35E-1EC440B82536.jpeg

JZ199

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!! You will find tons of help here! It's crazy how things are always changing in the hobby lol.

A lot of choices will depend on the livestock and corals you wish to keep, me personally, I've never had an issue with HOB skimmers. Some people just don't like the look of them and like everything hidden!

I currently have a HOB on my fluval flex AIO but it's hidden away due to the design so it's not an "eye sore"

20230123_222953.gif

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals
Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

bnord

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Phil, thanks for joining... never thought about it, but guess a small sump can help;p you system a lot

nice car... and I had my first salt tank in 79 in Charles City

Good luck

black-panther-namor-throne-namor-megalodon.gif

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back