Hello not sure how to start using aqua forest in my tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jordimex

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Red Sea 350 aquarium total water volume advertised is 90 gallon, taking into account all of my live rock i would guesstimate that my water volume is around 65-70 gallons.
i currently have a good amount of fish, and not dosing anything at the moment only doing 5 gallon water changes a week with red sea salt (blue bucket)
My current parameters are
No3= 8
Phosphates= 0.8
Alkalinity did 4 different tests all different numbers:
  • Red sea Alkalinity pro test 6.4
  • KH Director 7.6
  • Hanna 7.1
  • Salifert 7.4
Calcium 425
and Magnessium 1440

Im little by little getting the aquaforest products but not sure how to start using them

Bought component 1,2,3+, phosphate minus, carbon and Pro Bio S

whats the best way to start my transition to aqua forest products.
also want to change the salt mix not sure if i should buy the probiotic salt or the reef salt

thank you for your help

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jordimex
Best way to begin is by using the salt, choosing the salt is as easy as what type of method you wish to run using AF products. For heavy demanding SPS/ and even mixed reefs, the Probiotic Method is your route.

1. Use either AF Reef or AF Probiotic Salt. They are the same from a chemistry standpoint, however Probiotic has bacteria, carbon source, vitamins and amino. This salt has to be used within 24 hours, no holding. Either salt can be used within 15 minutes of mixing. 10% weekly change(do not exceed 20%) The salt is batch tested and validated with ICP OES. Expect the salt to mix and mimic NSW values.

2. A good quality skimmer needs to be in play(set to dry skim)

3. With Probiotic Method, begin using Pro Bio S, and NP Pro daily at 1/2 dose.

4. Reduce alkalinity to sub 7.5 dkh, I would say 7.0 is perfect

5. Observe changes in aquarium, have patience, the corals will likely respond with increased polyp expansion

6. Begin testing and shoot for 0.5-2.5 ppm on NO3, and 0.00-0.02 PO4.

7. When nutrients are low, begin use of Energy/ Build one day, alternate Vitality/Amino Mix day following(1/2 dose)

8. Phosphate Minus and Carbon can be stacked, place Carbon on bottom, then sponge, then Phosphate Minus(steady tumble, not to escape reactor)

9. Depending on amount of fish or size of corals, many AF users place Zeo Mix on the bottom of the reactor, then stack as advised in 8.

10. Depending on biological capacity, rock, sand, and rubble, many AF users expand the biological filtration by adding Life Bio Fil into sump, or reactor. This media provides a copious amount surface area for bacteria to home.

11. Think of Comp 123 as the means to satisfy all chemistry, plug in play, determine amounts by testing alk and making adjustments to have no swing from day to day. Once you determine the amount used in Comp2(alk) of the 3 bottle set, simply dose all 3 equally daily. Comp 123 will satisfy the Big 3 as well as trace minerals found in sea water.

12. Read the user guide, read it again, then read it once more ;) This is your reef, my best advice is to be patient, make time for observation, this is key. Do not over think things, and take your time implementing products, observe reactions in the aquarium.

Cheers :)

Dinukb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11. Think of Comp 123 as the means to satisfy all chemistry, plug in play, determine amounts by testing alk and making adjustments to have no swing from day to day. Once you determine the amount used in Comp2(alk) of the 3 bottle set, simply dose all 3 equally daily. Comp 123 will satisfy the Big 3 as well as trace minerals found in sea water.

@Perry do you prefer to dose # 2 first to figure out the consumption and use all 3 to dose the same amount of ml's per day. please advise?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back