HELLLLLLP!! Woke up to crashed tank - 99 degrees!!

BRS
AquaCave Logo Banner

RedoubtReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many rally before so I'm not giving up hope. What do people usually do here? Homeowners cover anything? GoFundMe? Donations of frags and livestock to help rebuild? First time I'm ever going through something like this so not sure the etiquette and protocol
Sorry to hear about your situation. All you can do is live, learn, and don't expect others to bail you out. Not sure why anyone would consider this.

ryshark

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get past this, I'd recommend downsizing your heaters by 50% and use 2 of them such that if one fails, it will not be enough to cook your tank.
Exactly. And I set them both to max out at around 80-degrees on their own thermostat.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many rally before so I'm not giving up hope. What do people usually do here? Homeowners cover anything? GoFundMe? Donations of frags and livestock to help rebuild? First time I'm ever going through something like this so not sure the etiquette and protocol
We usually just wish you luck and maybe a prayer or two.

Get audible alarm on your next controller.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely not crowd funding like GoFundMe...this isn't like some tragic accident that requires ongoing medical bills or something.
that's fair. Like I said, first time so I figured I'd ask what is and isn't in poor taste

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but this post is in really poor taste to me.

The first thing you do, is get off the internet and work toward saving the Animals in your care. Assessing the situation. Figuring out the failure point.

Not immediately asking "who's going to pay for all of this"
that's fair. Like I said, first time so I figured I'd ask what is and isn't in poor taste. I'm still new and learning all the time and I rely heavily on all of you long timers to push me in the right direction!

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not keeping up?
Maybe one was bad?
How are they in the tank/sump and how are they set? Are you using the controller for them or just plugged into the ranco?
I had 2x 400w aquatop titaniums with built in controllers and the temps fluctuated too much

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but this post is in really poor taste to me.

The first thing you do, is get off the internet and work toward saving the Animals in your care. Assessing the situation. Figuring out the failure point.

Not immediately asking "who's going to pay for all of this"
For the record I have been 100% focused on this and the temp is down and I'm assessing. I am also working from home so while in meetings i'm checking in here.

TerraFerma

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2x 400w aquatop titaniums with built in controllers and the temps fluctuated too much

2x 400w should be more than enough unless your tank is in a cold garage or your tank/sump turnover is very low. If neither of those things were a factor one of the 400w heater likely wasn't kicking on.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Potatohead

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were not keeping up. The heaters are titanium finnex both purchased new from brs not too long ago and both are connected to rancos.

Something is wrong. 2-3 watts per gallon is usually easily sufficient to keep a tank ten degrees above ambient

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can afford an apex you can afford more coral(harsh but true), find where the failure was and adapt so that failure won't occur again. Recenter, rebuild, and rediscover the reef love.
I get it. I started small and worked hard to grow most of these corals from $5-10 frags. I had a few more expensive pieces, but nothing above $100 I don't think. The Apex I'm still paying off (over 12 months). I bought new because I knew how important the main controller was going to be and really did not expect it to **** the bed at 5 months old. The issue 100% stemmed from an update Neptune pushed out. They have been silent about it but I've read of many others having the same issue and are getting their A2 and A3s replaced. It just pains me that the replacement is arriving today. I was one day away from avoiding this event. Neptune support took 48 hours to respond to me and once they determined I needed a replacement I immediately paid for the cross ship process and it took them another 24 hours to actually ship it out. The timing just sucked, chalking it up to bad luck and forging ahead. I tried my best to build in redundancy to avoid situations like this. Guess I will focus on more redundancy for my redundancy. Everyone has been so great and supportive through this tho and I appreciate that and apologize if I ruffled any feathers.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's to much?
I'm about 1 degree with 100 gallon system.
1 200 watt glass jagger and a 1 300 watt finnex. Both on 1 inkbird.
Jagger is set to 80 on the heater and the finnex has no controller. Inkbird is plugged into apex set to turn off at 80 also. Inkbird is set to Celsius so it has tighter control. Temp stays at 76.9 to 77.9.

Also,not to far from you in Connecticut.

How is yours set up? Maybe you can avoid this in the future. We can help.

Nutramar Foods

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. I started small and worked hard to grow most of these corals from $5-10 frags. I had a few more expensive pieces, but nothing above $100 I don't think. The Apex I'm still paying off (over 12 months). I bought new because I knew how important the main controller was going to be and really did not expect it to **** the bed at 5 months old. The issue 100% stemmed from an update Neptune pushed out. They have been silent about it but I've read of many others having the same issue and are getting their A2 and A3s replaced. It just pains me that the replacement is arriving today. I was one day away from avoiding this event. Neptune support took 48 hours to respond to me and once they determined I needed a replacement I immediately paid for the cross ship process and it took them another 24 hours to actually ship it out. The timing just sucked, chalking it up to bad luck and forging ahead. I tried my best to build in redundancy to avoid situations like this. Guess I will focus on more redundancy for my redundancy. Everyone has been so great and supportive through this tho and I appreciate that and apologize if I ruffled any feathers.
I took your question as genuine and was not offended. You were clearly trying to determine if it was appropriate or not.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took your question as genuine and was not offended. You were clearly trying to determine if it was appropriate or not.
I appreciate it. I truly meant no harm. Being on the spectrum I know I miss the mark sometimes which is why I try to ask for help more on how to handle some situations before I make situations worse. This is like my favorite thing in life right now. Truly a hobby I never thought I'd end up doing but it has brought me so much joy and so much pain at the same time. I feel so bad for the fish and do all I possibly can to keep them healthy and happy.

AS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AF
Back