HELLLLLLP!! Woke up to crashed tank - 99 degrees!!

BRS

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Apex is dead and they are sending a replacement. In the meantime I still had my 2 heaters running on their (highly recommended) Ranco controllers. I'm not sure what the point of failure was at this point I just know both Rancos were reading 99. I unplugged everything, poured every ice cube i had into the tank. Some cooler water into the sump. I'm trying to see what's dead or alive but it's pretty cloudy still from the nems.

I have two fans blowing down from the top. I hooked up my old chiller.

What else should I be doing to save/salvage what I can?!?

AquaCave Logo Banner

803ReefDude

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex is dead and they are sending a replacement. In the meantime I still had my 2 heaters running on their (highly recommended) Ranco controllers. I'm not sure what the point of failure was at this point I just know both Rancos were reading 99. I unplugged everything, poured every ice cube i had into the tank. Some cooler water into the sump. I'm trying to see what's dead or alive but it's pretty cloudy still from the nems.

Sorry to hear, do you have any fresh saltwater ready? If so go ahead and do big water change. Turn your A/C on, it might help cool it down. Take some water out the tank sit in freezer for 30-40mins than pour it back in the tank.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hope the ice cubes are in a zip lock. Wouldn't want to send the sg in a downward spiral.

Yes, water change with unheated new salt water added slowly.
Tank water into the fridge.
Fan blowing across the top of the tank.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once you get past this, I'd recommend downsizing your heaters by 50% and use 2 of them such that if one fails, it will not be enough to cook your tank.
I have 2 heaters, each 800w, one in my fuge and one in the tank. The were setup in a failover config, but with my apex brain down they were just running/relying on the controllers. I swapped my inkbirds for rancos and boy am i ticked because the inkbirds would have been screaming

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear, do you have any fresh saltwater ready? If so go ahead and do big water change. Turn your A/C on, it might help cool it down. Take some water out the tank sit in freezer for 30-40mins than pour it back in the tank.
Doing all this already!! I sprung into action - turned the rodi on so i get cold water, ice packs, cubes, fans, chiller, ac in house is on. I've been like a man possessed running around. I haven't even had my coffee yet, lol

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 800 watt heaters on a 150 gallon??
Holy smokes batman.
Definatly go down to 2 400 watt, or 2 300 watt.
They were not keeping up. The heaters are titanium finnex both purchased new from brs not too long ago and both are connected to rancos.

OP
OP
A

alabella1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen many rally before so I'm not giving up hope. What do people usually do here? Homeowners cover anything? GoFundMe? Donations of frags and livestock to help rebuild? First time I'm ever going through something like this so not sure the etiquette and protocol

CLICK TO VIEW

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were not keeping up. The heaters are titanium finnex both purchased new from brs not too long ago and both are connected to rancos.
Not keeping up?
Maybe one was bad?
How are they in the tank/sump and how are they set? Are you using the controller for them or just plugged into the ranco?

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many rally before so I'm not giving up hope. What do people usually do here? Homeowners cover anything? GoFundMe? Donations of frags and livestock to help rebuild? First time I'm ever going through something like this so not sure the etiquette and protocol

Definitely not crowd funding like GoFundMe...this isn't like some tragic accident that requires ongoing medical bills or something.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, but this post is in really poor taste to me.

The first thing you do, is get off the internet and work toward saving the Animals in your care. Assessing the situation. Figuring out the failure point.

Not immediately asking "who's going to pay for all of this"

AquaCave Logo Banner

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only go fund me I donate to are those for medical bills and hardship. A fish tank is a luxury.

If you have a local reef scene, they may donate frags though.

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Handouts should not be expected or even asked for in my opinion, but may be offered when sharing your plight, especially if you are part of your local reefing community.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back