Heartland man tragically dies of apparent palytoxin poisoning hours after cleaning aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for some people to have an allergic reaction?
Yes it’s just like many other things in this world. Some people are alergic to poison ivy and some like me are not. Some people are allergic to Penicillin and others take it to get better. I’m alergic to work some people are not

AquaCave Logo Banner

hds4216

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's his twitter. He had two kids, a son in high school and a daughter in college. This thread has some pretty insensitive responses, maybe try to have some measure of decorum.

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s just like many other things in this world. Some people are alergic to poison ivy and some like me are not. Some people are allergic to Penicillin and others take it to get better
Exactly, while it’s tragic and sad whatever, no need for the all out freak out omg I’m gonna die if I look at a zoa or paly...

Remember lots of ppl die, it’s part of life and everyone on r2r will die just as well, just be careful and you will extend your life expectancy!

Top Shelf Aquatics

gentlefish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, my thoughts are with the family. But since this seems to turn into a discussion about palytoxin, I posted this summary before, and it may help not to overreact.

Palytoxin poisoning — Palytoxin derives from the microalgae, Ostreopsis ovate and O. siamensis, corals, and sea anemones. Palytoxin was originally described in Hawaii but more recently has caused health problems among home aquarium enthusiasts [37] and after an algal bloom in Italy [38]. It binds to and disables the sodium/potassium ATPase pump. Human exposure to palytoxin has been described following ingestion of crabs, fish, and shellfish that have fed on palytoxin-containing algae or coral [39], inhalational exposure from corals in fish tanks or sea air [37,40-43], and dermal or eye exposure after touching corals that elaborate the toxin [43-46].

Inhalational exposure from soft corals in aquariums or sea air can produce conjunctivitis, chest pain, fever, shortness of breath, and bronchospasm [39,47]. Rarely, adult respiratory distress syndrome and acute respiratory failure may occur. Treatment is supportive with administration of antihistamines, inhaled bronchodilators, and systemic corticosteroids.

Although rare, ingestion of contaminated seafood (algae- and reef-feeding fish, crustaceans, and shellfish) can produce neurologic symptoms of paresthesias, weakness, severe uncontrollable muscle cramping (potentially leading to rhabdomyolysis), and hot-cold reversal [39]. Additional findings may include diaphoresis, vomiting, diarrhea, and severe abdominal cramping. Poisoning may occur in outbreaks with mortality rates as high as 10 percent [39].

hsosa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small c olony and a couple small frags. of zoos. I run carbon. if I do handle zoanthids I go a little over board I wear. gloves . respirator and eye protection. afterwards I clean up with RO water.. I've seen people handle them with no safety gear at all and nothing happens. I rather be safe plus I've touched zoanthids bare handed and my hand stung the whole day. it wasn't a pleasant expierence.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Noobs now who read this will ask 100 questions and won’t want to put Zoa in their tanks because they’re worried about dying I’m tired of reading articles about this
If their that new .
I would lean more towards not wanting to keep paly’s seeing as the name doesn’t really refer to zoanthids but palythoa
Essentially the same , but different .

lkc

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been disposing of his corals. Its TEXAS and Texas froze. The corals might have been releasing toxins in their death throes. His tank may have been a noxious soup. That would've lead to heavy exposure, and maybe he wasn't wearing a mask and or eye protection.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been disposing of his corals. Its TEXAS and Texas froze. The corals might have been releasing toxins in their death throes. His tank may have been a noxious soup. That would've lead to heavy exposure, and maybe he wasn't wearing a mask and or eye protection.
Most likely scenario.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys... this was in Texas. Maybe he lost his whole tank from the power outage and a bunch of Palys died. If enough plays died off, I could imagine cleaning up after a tank crash could be hazardous.

Sarcazian

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If their that new .
I would lean more towards not wanting to keep paly’s seeing as the name doesn’t really refer to zoanthids but palythoa
Essentially the same , but different .

The problem is, it doesn't seem easy to tell if it's a paly or zoa. Also, it seems like zoa's can still release poisons.

I just purchased like $200 worth of zoas that come this week... mostly a bunch of little stuff from pieces of ocean.

It would be interesting to see if the reason was due to a tank crash from the storm or how it happened. Also, they don't mention any issues with the family and that is very lucky. But, they mention the hazmat suits and this seems very weird unless there was some type of cesspool.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Falreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP fellow reefer. Although I agree we shouldn't dismiss that someone died. We shouldn't also dismiss that scraping glass or pulling GHA will not cause this type of poisoning. Articles never cater to the hobbyist who knows the limits. The writer has probably never had a reef tank.

Everyone should chill and know the limitations of dealing with coral. Unfortunately someone died, fortunately we have a large community to help people learn what they have and how to handle it.
Wear gloves, face mask, goggles. Don’t put your hands on corals with palytoxins.
To easy to get palytoxin poisoning. Use precautions. If fingers, hands with open cuts or sores, don’t put them in the aquarium or deal with corals if not wearing gloves.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought 3 zoa polyps from lfs and now I’m scared to death to put my hands in my tank. What should I do. Should I throw them in the garbage. Should I wear a hazmat suit to handle them. If I blow up my house will they die and I be ok...I’m not making fun of the fact that dude died that is very sad but this stuff sends some people to go crazy is all I’m saying
IMHO - there is a risk. People should be aware. Lots of people go overboard about a lot of things in reef keeping. There are lots of zoas that will not cause any problems no matter what. There are others that will. Its rare for anyone to die from the toxin - but the article is a good reminder. Some people are allergic to stuff - coral, anemones, etc. To me - in all honesty - the only people 'going crazy' are those who are saying 'its not a big deal, its overblown, etc'. LOL to me the people who need to measure their alkalinity every 30 seconds are more OCD that someone who is careful around palyzoas. Again thats just my opinion

Nutramar Foods

JosephM

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have cuts on my hands, go in barehanded all the time. Have 6 types of zoas/palys. Got a shipment in with 6 more that were dead and handled them barehanded. Only opened the window in my room for ventilation. I truly believe that you have to be allergic or get the true toxin in your system through a deep wound, eyes, mouth, etc. But also RIP the guy that passed and I hope his family is well.

Falreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s just like many other things in this world. Some people are alergic to poison ivy and some like me are not. Some people are allergic to Penicillin and others take it to get better. I’m alergic to work some people are not
No these are not allergic reactions. Palytoxins are neurotoxins.

Wear gloves and eye protection. Don’t have any small cuts on fingers, hands, arms that are put into tanks to work. Don’t touch your mouth, eyes, face. Probably wear a face shield and mask. Wash or dispose clothes you worked in.

years of experience snd no problems snd just this past sunday had to bring home a nice bright green speckled paly grande (the most toxic of all), one large polyp and two small attached to other polyps on a small rock in office tank. I broke all the rules and nearly had the same results. Fortunately by next day I was better. But was pretty bad. I know better, had all the equipment and was just in a rush snd careless. Don’t do it. I won’t do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Atlantik Icon  reef aquarium LED Bar
Back