+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Last week, I picked up from my LFS this very small blue tang. (I call her Dori. I know very original) She was constantly scratching on surfaces and I definitely knew she had flukes or something, and she had injured herself on the face.
Since everything that goes in the DT, it always goes through QT, I really wanted to save her as in my country, most fish stores don't really care and they just put small doses of copper to keep symptoms at bay and I knew I could heal her.
So I put her in my QT, and the next day I immediately proceeded with a FW dip which big surprise, a giant fluke came off her.
With that said, I dosed GDEX (which is the same as Prazi in Europe) and tomorrow is the last day of Prazi by which I will do a water change and start dosing cuppramine.
I also did a FW dip yesterday to buy myself some more time because I didn't like her swimming pattern and behaviour.

I have to say that I am really happy because she is doing great! She has completely stopped scratching on surfaces, is eating although she is extremely shy and only does so when I am away, and she has more vivid colours in comparison to how she looked when I got her.
Now my question is, is there anything else that I can do for her face? I can see some stringy things attached to the wound and I am thinking they might be dead flukes so should I gently grab her and gently rub them away, or just wait and it will heal on its own?
Also does anyone know why she is half blue half purple ?
Thank you so much in advance!
Dori.jpg

DSC01525.JPG

DSC01511-2.jpg

DSC01509-2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello all,
Last week, I picked up from my LFS this very small blue tang. (I call her Dori. I know very original) She was constantly scratching on surfaces and I definitely knew she had flukes or something, and she had injured herself on the face.
Since everything that goes in the DT, it always goes through QT, I really wanted to save her as in my country, most fish stores don't really care and they just put small doses of copper to keep symptoms at bay and I knew I could heal her.
So I put her in my QT, and the next day I immediately proceeded with a FW dip which big surprise, a giant fluke came off her.
With that said, I dosed GDEX (which is the same as Prazi in Europe) and tomorrow is the last day of Prazi by which I will do a water change and start dosing cuppramine.
I also did a FW dip yesterday to buy myself some more time because I didn't like her swimming pattern and behaviour.

I have to say that I am really happy because she is doing great! She has completely stopped scratching on surfaces, is eating although she is extremely shy and only does so when I am away, and she has more vivid colours in comparison to how she looked when I got her.
Now my question is, is there anything else that I can do for her face? I can see some stringy things attached to the wound and I am thinking they might be dead flukes so should I gently grab her and gently rub them away, or just wait and it will heal on its own?
Also does anyone know why she is half blue half purple ?
Thank you so much in advance!
View attachment 2602044
View attachment 2602047

View attachment 2602046

View attachment 2602045
Oh my goodness. Looks like an injury or infection that has become bacterial. Treatment will be in a seperate tank with seachem Neoplex
Include oxygen with air stone during treatment. Is fish eating ?
What test kits are you using ? Looking for ammonia-nitrate-ph readings

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my goodness. Looks like an injury or infection that has become bacterial. Treatment will be in a seperate tank with seachem Neoplex
Include oxygen with air stone during treatment. Is fish eating ?
What test kits are you using ? Looking for ammonia-nitrate-ph readings
I already have a air stone running all day and I didn't know about Seachem Neoplex. I will get a bottle first thing tomorrow morning.
Also yes she is eating and ammonia is 0 as well as with nitrate and ph is 8.15-8.3

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I already have a air stone running all day and I didn't know about Seachem Neoplex. I will get a bottle first thing tomorrow morning.
Also yes she is eating and ammonia is 0 as well as with nitrate and ph is 8.15-8.3
What test kits are you using ?

AS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is a bi-color angelfish in the QT with her, (I got them together) should I remove him once I start dosing neoplex tomorrow ?

You could leave the fish or remove it, won't matter much.

Neoplex is a good choice, but I did want to add that this is a very severe wound/infection and is very close to the brain. The outcome is not good if the bacteria get to the brain.

Jay

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Jay for your answer and I will immediately start first thing in the morning. I hope she will be okay and at least she had more chances with me than with the LSF. I will keep you updated.
Also how should I know when to stop dosing Neoplex ? I read that it can be dosed for up to 3 weeks.

javisaman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Jay for your answer and I will immediately start first thing in the morning. I hope she will be okay and at least she had more chances with me than with the LSF. I will keep you updated.
Also how should I know when to stop dosing Neoplex ? I read that it can be dosed for up to 3 weeks.

Any update?

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back