Hawaiian Nudibranch Laid Eggs In My Tank!!!

Top Shelf Aquatics
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright guys, I don’t have an update on the eggs just yet but they should be hatching around next Monday. I’ll try to remember to switch to an air pump before they hatch, don’t wanna lose them by overflowing back into my sump.

Anyways I have a pretty interesting update on the pair, I’m almost certain now that they are mating again after what I’ve read online. Their genitals are located on the right side of their ‘necks’. They mate by kind of doing the ying and yang pose, that’s the best way I can think of it. See below photos with one being a macro shot, you can see their connected by a white tube.
7ED8CA89-4784-4CEC-9B04-5C8716ABDC45.jpeg C094A80A-E7CB-4AF5-B911-83FF089FFEEC.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright guys, I don’t have an update on the eggs just yet but they should be hatching around next Monday. I’ll try to remember to switch to an air pump before they hatch, don’t wanna lose them by overflowing back into my sump.

Anyways I have a pretty interesting update on the pair, I’m almost certain now that they are mating again after what I’ve read online. Their genitals are located on the right side of their ‘necks’. They mate by kind of doing the ying and yang pose, that’s the best way I can think of it. See below photos with one being a macro shot, you can see their connected by a white tube.
View attachment 675919 View attachment 675918
Awesome!

Kamden Uelton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they use their own sperm to fertilize their eggs for some odd reason (i don't even know why it happens) the young experience deformation. By any means can they fertilize their own eggs but they usually only do that when theres a shortage of food or they are about to die. I think the deformation is caused by having an extra chromosome or something like that, kind of like in humans and other animals but I can't be 100% certain

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Bongo Shrimp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah they don't eat algae, this species of nudi eats many species of sponge that's why I wanted it so bad :)
Source? As afar as I was aware we only know of one preferred species of prey sponge Dysidea fragilis.

that's a healthy egg formation, when they are starving they place them in rows and not the defined swirls they are in now.
Source?

Kamden Uelton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Source? As afar as I was aware we only know of one preferred species of prey sponge Dysidea fragilis.

Source?
I intern/work at an LFS and I have seen many nudibranch egg formations... We had the same one he has in stock and it was seen feeding on Red Ball Sponge which isn't even close to where the nudibranch comes from, We also get lettuce nudis here and there and the starving ones (cause we don't have bryopsis) lay lines instead of the spiral eggs, The source is my LFS if thats alright with you?

Avast
OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have some not so great news... From the research I’ve done on the hatch time of these eggs, it wasn’t the same with the nudibranchs ;Facepalm They hatched sometime last night which would put that at a 5 day incubation period instead of the 8-9 days I’ve read. I had constant flow coming in and out of the breeding container which means that majority of that plankton larvae must have gone back into my sump. I’m pretty bummed but at least I’ve learned something new. I did notice today that the eggs were slightly lighter pink that normal but I didn’t think anything of it.

You can see in the photo below that the egg mass has turned clear with just few tiny spots of pink left. I’ve since turned the flow off, switched to an airstone, and added a piece of live rock in hopes that I’m still able to save some baby nudibranchs. I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated on anything that happens. I’m hoping that the nudibranch pair will also lay another batch of eggs since they were just mating a couple days ago, only time will tell.. Sorry for getting everyone’s hopes up :(0A39734D-6EAF-46E9-B5DA-B461ED6DF763.jpeg

Kamden Uelton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if these nudis would eat Collospongia (red plating sponge)? I have tons of it and would LOVE to keep some pretty nudis like this . Where did you pick your pair up??
These nudibranchs only eat Dysidea Sponge and sponges with the same internal structure as dysidea sorry they wouldn't eat Collospongia, However
Glossodoris rufomarginata is known to eat photosynthetic sponges and may eat Collospongia

Nutramar Foods

rstrann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These nudibranchs only eat Dysidea Sponge and sponges with the same internal structure as dysidea sorry they wouldn't eat Collospongia, However
Glossodoris rufomarginata is known to eat photosynthetic sponges and may eat Collospongia

Hey those are really pretty nudis too! Thank you for the info... I'd love to add some to the display if I can ever find any for sale

OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random little update, I know these nudibranchs are eating something now. I was watching one moving around the tank, it stuck it’s tail straight up in and the tail got really pointy. I was wondering what’s going on?? But then I saw a little string of poop come out ;Hilarious So good to know that it’s eating something in my tank, not really noticing a decrease in sponges though.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back