Hawaiian Nudibranch Laid Eggs In My Tank!!!

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my experiences with you all on the Hawaiian imperial nudibranch. I got this pair of nudi’s almost 2 weeks ago because I have a bunch of sponges in my tank and was hoping that these nudi’s would eat them as their known food source are sponges. They follow each other around my tank all day long and don’t leave each other’s side, it’s kinda cute!
723558F2-71D4-4324-AF06-049629381862.jpeg

Earlier today I noticed one of the nudi’s doing circles non-stop in the same area under my overflow box. It’s seemed really odd that it wouldn’t stop doing tight circles, then I noticed a pink patch developing in the area it must have been cleaning to lay the eggs. These eggs are multiple layers or ribbons that keep wrapping around the previous layer just like if you would to roll up a piece of paper. It took about 6 hours from the time I noticed the nudi doing its rounds to the time it moved off the egg mass.
2A177A65-BEC1-4D1C-A3D7-8A01CA878501.png BD2B7D5C-786C-474A-93C5-8B630147744A.jpeg

I hope when these eggs hatch that the larvae can thrive in my tank in which I can share them with others. Wish me luck and feel free to share any thoughts or advise on this amazing experience I was able to witness! I have no clue what I’m doing right or wrong but seems to have done something!

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful! These nudibranch's have a planktonic stage, They don't develop directly.

Thanks for the info, didn’t know they were planktonic. Do you know about when the eggs will begin to hatch? I’ll remove my filter sock at that time to allow them to settle out in my sump where I have a bunch more sponges also. The first chamber of my sump is long and narrow which allows detritus to settle before heading to the next chamber so hopefully there’s a chance they will settle in there also. I could also try moving the egg mass but rather not cause any damage.

Corals.com

Mark Derail

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Going to show my GF - we got an UW pic the two of us by our guide hovering above a huge rose diving from Maui - off the coast of Lanai, right outside lava tubes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Going to show my GF - we got an UW pic the two of us by our guide hovering above a huge rose diving from Maui - off the coast of Lanai, right outside lava tubes.
Cool! You should post that picture up, I'm pretty sure thats the eggs from those 'Spanish Dancer' Nudi's.

They should hatch in roughly 4-6 days, When the eggs hatch and you can start to see baby nudibranch please DM me, Good luck!
Okay will do! Should I attempt to move them? This morning I noticed the eggs are collecting a bunch of air bubbles because its upside down and at night I do nano bubbling. I'm not sure if the air bubbles have damaged the eggs already but do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Kamden Uelton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move them into a clear container with flow from an air pump and when the eggs hatch they disappear and that is when you should began adding sponge and mature live rock into the container. You're lucky to have that nudibranch, I saw one at the LFS and just as I asked them about it someone bought it for "algae control" o_O

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you tell if the nudi's are actually eating and not starving? I have several types of different white sponge but I'm not sure if they are even eating it. They're still alive after about 2 weeks so they must be eating something right?

OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know, I have moved the eggs into a little breeding container that pumps water through the container. When the eggs begin to hatch I will stop the flow and only use the pump for water changes. I couldn't get the eggs to hold that flower shape but I successfully moved the whole mass over. Now we shall wait and see what happens!

OP
OP
Codym808

Codym808

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could only find a bunch of research on Berghia nudi’s so read up on that, they must be somewhat similar I assume. If they are, takes about couple months for them to be a visible baby sea slug after the 8-10 day incubation period. Either way I’ll give it a chance.

Here’s a small update on the egg mass as well as the parents. I successfully moved the egg mass yesterday to a breeding container that is constantly exchanging saltwater from my display. Unfortunately I was unable to move the egg mass in its original shape. As the time of hatching gets closer I’ll change to an airstone and use the pump to do small water changes for the newly hatched little guys.
91F2872B-C611-4865-A379-BC5534BA6009.jpeg

Also from the research I’ve done on nudi’s it seems like they are mating again?? They call this “necking” when nudi’s are fertilizing the new eggs to be laid, not sure if they are just next to each other or actually mating. Either way I’m jut glad they’re still doing okay in my tank. 38FF9410-565D-4524-A43E-66688408BB3E.jpeg

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back