Hate it when they fall somewhere in the tank!

czieler

Reefin' Girl
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when I have a nice little frag... and it gets knocked down somewhere into the tank and I can't find it w/out taking a bunch of rocks apart.

What's everyone do ... besides glueing them in place to help prevent this? I have several little rock chunks that I am hoping to watch grow then eventually frag...so I don't want to glue them into my reef.... tonite my black and white zoas got knocked down by something...who knows what...and I can't find them anywhere..heh..so aggravating!!

I had put them in the sand...but they needed more light so put them up in the rocks..anyways...was wondering what others did?

Avast

reefboy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there going in a area of high loss do to falling i glue to a large rock then add them they usally dont come off if glued outside of the tank but that be the only thing i could think of that i do is glue to a larger rock so they cant fall between the cracks but believe me ive ben there.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I try to putty them down anyway. They will pull apart rather easily when you are ready to move them.

Sounds like your going frag hunting later on... :)

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
czieler

czieler

Reefin' Girl
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I am doing my first water change in the new tank this weekend... 30 gallons...will probably wait and do it then..since I'll already be a mess.

One thing I don't like about my 150... no matter what I do... if I have to get my arm down in the tank for anything...I always end up w/ water all over my clothes and the floor...cuz I can't reach the bottom and end up sticking half my shoulder in too!

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I work on my tanks topless! Hubby loves water change day!

I lost a dendro in the back of my rockwork. It was from a group buy & everyone was posting about how many babies they had on theirs a year later. Around that time I upgraded to a larger tank & found it behind the rocks. It still had some orange to it.
Dendro11-13-06.jpg

Now, it's big & beautiful!
Dendro1-8-07.jpg

World Wide Corals

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
I liked my tank next to the window so everyone could see me topless, plus I could siphon the water right out on the ground.

Corals.com

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just superglue it.. but try to have just enough so it's easier to pull out... I normally just use rubble LR (1"-3") and glue it.. when it's ready to frag, then I just pull it and it comes off easily...

good luck.. happy water change day.. ;)

AquaCave Logo Banner

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you glue it underwater? Or do you just ttake the rock out.

What I do is try to practice fit the actual rubble on different place of my aquascaping to see if it'll look right.. then I put a bunch of glue on that piece let the glue harden a little underwater (it will form a soft bubble, glue inside is still wet).. then I just push (letting the wet glue out), wiggle, and I hold it in place until the glue hardens... then I test to see if a snail or hermit can move it... if the rubble LR is secure, then that's it.. if not, then I just take out the rock and do the process over..

I have no idea if I explain that well.. good luck.. hehe.. I've had very good luck with this method..

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense to me. Ive broken a few sps pieces trying to use that putty underwater. I hate that stuff. I'll have to try the glue method.

yeah, I think the putty thingy is a little harder to work on, unless you've got lots of experience.. :)

I tried the glue method with my green ORA birdsnest and it worked like a charm... btw, I don't use the liquid glue.. I use the gel one so it's not that messy...

Nutramar Foods

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad you "went there" first Puffer. :angel1: My hubby thinks he is the luckiest man in the world cuz he has a wifey that is into tanks AND works on them topless. "Not only does she do water changes, she does them topless...." :drool:

I epoxy semi-temp stuff down that is small enough to roll around. It can be done underwater and is easy to snap up when you need to. I like someone elses idea of gluing the small rock down to big rock taht can't get lost but isn't a rock in reef structure. That way if your frag happens to overgrow onto surrounding rock you can remove all to frag. Maybe put a large rock in your tank for that purpose?

Kam

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back