Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd be more active since I have a little experience now. I have had a reef tank for 2 years now (SC50 cube). My first try ended like most others, lots of green hair and bubble algae. I moved across country so I had a second chance to start from scratch and do better. Now I am having success with no nuisance algae after 10 months.

I now live in North Texas in a smaller town with the DFW area my nearest source of livestock and corals with the exception of a big box place. I have ordered an AF Oceanguard 435 system that I will create a build thread for once it is delivered and hope to get advice/help others along the way through my reefing journey.

Happy to be here and have a good day all!

Edward
Welcome! We'd love to see all your progress in a build thread! Always fun seeing the big "my journey so far" infodump at the beginning!

Top Shelf Aquatics

tharbin

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Greenfishguy

Greenfishguy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning! Two Ed's are better than one!

There's nothing more dangerous than someone determined to succeed with a little experience! Hair and bubble algae are common enough... Once your tank is settled in, it becomes manageable, but it will always happen, because everything we introduce to the tank is a vector for it.

10 months is usually a breaking point for hair algae to start dying off, calcareous algae will replace the real estate if you prep the live rock surface for it.

DFW has a lot of good vendors nearby, but almost none of them are walk in to my knowledge. Fraghouse has some good looking coral, but none of them lasted long in my tank.
Thank you for the info! I moved here from the SF bay area so I definitely miss being able to go to several LFS in a one hour trip.

OP
OP
Greenfishguy

Greenfishguy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Edward and Welcome! Glad you joined. April 29th there will be a 5 local fish store motorcoach bus tour of the north/north east metroplex stores that would let you sit back and see the DFW aquarium store sights. Next year will be north west DFW tour. Last year was south DFW tour. Tonight thru Zoom Shawn Hale of Fritz and owner of Aquashella is club's guest speaker at 7pm.

Glad you are already considering starting your build thread. I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find more people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Appreciate the info, Ill definitely check it out!

CLICK TO VIEW

Icedphoenix

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have been a lurker here for a while and thought I'd be more active since I have a little experience now. I have had a reef tank for 2 years now (SC50 cube). My first try ended like most others, lots of green hair and bubble algae. I moved across country so I had a second chance to start from scratch and do better. Now I am having success with no nuisance algae after 10 months.

I now live in North Texas in a smaller town with the DFW area my nearest source of livestock and corals with the exception of a big box place. I have ordered an AF Oceanguard 435 system that I will create a build thread for once it is delivered and hope to get advice/help others along the way through my reefing journey.

Edward
Welcome from North West Ft worth. Looks like you are in WF so it is a bit of a drive but there are some good coral and fish stores off 287 just before it hits 35W. One of them does do sales on here. It's a good area and lots of shops are very free with helping you achieve your goals! Hope you like Texas and welcome here and to the area!

RichWise73

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edward
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Greenfishguy

Greenfishguy

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from North West Ft worth. Looks like you are in WF so it is a bit of a drive but there are some good coral and fish stores off 287 just before it hits 35W. One of them does do sales on here. It's a good area and lots of shops are very free with helping you achieve your goals! Hope you like Texas and welcome here and to the area!
Thanks for the info! Im in Dallas like every 2 weeks or so so I will check out the map for those shops on 287!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back