Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling a QT tank right now and I dose my tank with ammonia and fritz turbostart 900. I tested with salifert and my ammonia levels are 1.5, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0. I have a nitrate HR tester and I tested the QT tank and it came out to 19.4 nitrates. Which one do I trust? (I tested using salifer/hanna a day after dosing with turbostart).

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling a QT tank right now and I dose my tank with ammonia and fritz turbostart 900. I tested with salifert and my ammonia levels are 1.5, nitrite 0, and nitrate 0. I have a nitrate HR tester and I tested the QT tank and it came out to 19.4 nitrates. Which one do I trust? (I tested using salifer/hanna a day after dosing with turbostart).
How much ammonia did you measure just after you added it?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Aluco

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime both are reliable. Stuff happens tho and usually when there's a big difference in results it's good to retest. Read directions again if you need a refresher and worth checking the exp dates on the reagents. Any reason the cycling tank would have elevated nitrates?

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, I trust Hannah more, but with that sort of difference it is not a reading error/color error unless you are colorblind, you did one of the tests wrong or your reagents have gone bad.
I ended up getting a hanna ammonia test kit and it read 0.03 ppm and I tested with salifert and at the time came up with 0.25. I dosed it again with ammonia and my salifert test kit read it as 1.5 again while my hanna test came up to 0.05. Any ideas on which one I should trust?

OP
OP
C

CLYRIC

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime both are reliable. Stuff happens tho and usually when there's a big difference in results it's good to retest. Read directions again if you need a refresher and worth checking the exp dates on the reagents. Any reason the cycling tank would have elevated nitrates?
Yea, I did read over the directions again and results are the same. The only reason why I think the cycling tank has a high nitrate is because I dosed it with turbostart 900 and I dosed what was recommended for 25 gallons while the tank is only 10 gallons.

Top Shelf Aquatics

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a hanna ammonia test kit and it read 0.03 ppm and I tested with salifert and at the time came up with 0.25. I dosed it again with ammonia and my salifert test kit read it as 1.5 again while my hanna test came up to 0.05. Any ideas on which one I should trust?
Did you press and hold the button on the hanna to start the 15 minute timer?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
First Choice
Back