+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have this Hanna Checker HI713 for Phosphate, the low range one. My issue here is that when i test, at the first reading after timer ends i have one reading, let’s say 0.26 ppm and as i always check twice, at the second reading i have always half or less from first reading. I perform the second reading without the timer. Is there something i do wrong or can be the checker or something else?
Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I use the checker timer for the frist reading. You have to long press the button at C2 step to start the timer. For the second check i don’t use the timer as those 3 minutes have already passed once.
So you’re not doing the whole test again on a different water sample? You appear to be pressing the button randomly until you get another reading. The calibration step C1 for example, how are you doing that? A fresh sample, or just skipping over it with the previously tested sample?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
IURobert

IURobert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re not doing the whole test again on a different water sample? You appear to be pressing the button randomly until you get another reading. The calibration step C1 for example, how are you doing that? A fresh sample, or just skipping over it with the previously tested sample?
No, i am doing it as is reauested. Step C1 with a non reacted sample from aquarium and the C2 with reacted solution. I have made a lot of test with different Hanna checkers for different parameters. The only thing i don’t do at the second reading is to start the timer. First reading to me means that i complete a Phosphate check with C1 and C2 step as instructions request to and the second read is when i repeat those steps to see if i get the same reading with the same reacted solution, without throwing the jars content. Hope i’m clear now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about what you are doing, but the colored phosphate solution is not stable and is not expected to keep reading correctly as more and more time passes.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is doing the test as normal the 1st time.

2nd time he is using a cuvette filled with aquarium water to calibrate then re-using the sample from the 1st test.

Correct OP?

Randy is correct, the sample is no longer stable after... 6 minutes(maybe longer) when your 2nd test is finally completed.

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(short answer: I think OP is switching the C1 "blank" cuvette, and thus getting a different reading on the reacted sample.)

Longer: If you used the same cuvette as the C1 blank for the timed test and the immediate re-test, then the results would be very much the same.
But if you use a cuvette as C1 blank, then react it, measure the reacted sample (correct). and then to "re-check" use a different cuvette as C1 blank and remeasure the reacted cuvette, then you will get a different result due to slight variations in how the two cuvettes behave.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(short answer: I think OP is switching the C1 "blank" cuvette, and thus getting a different reading on the reacted sample.)

Longer: If you used the same cuvette as the C1 blank for the timed test and the immediate re-test, then the results would be very much the same.
But if you use a cuvette as C1 blank, then react it, measure the reacted sample (correct). and then to "re-check" use a different cuvette as C1 blank and remeasure the reacted cuvette, then you will get a different result due to slight variations in how the two cuvettes behave.
This right here.

The purpose of doing an unreacted test with the cuvette is to account for any deviations in that cuvette. Using cuvette 1 to assume cuvette 2's deviations is no good.

It is also good to orientate the cuvettes in the same way as when test 1 (unreacted) is completed. I do this via making sure the letters on the cuvette always face forward (at the display)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Extreme Corals
Back