Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly new, my reef tank is just over 2 years old. One thing I struggle with is the definition of flow. I recently bought a purple tip branching hammer coral. I read that you can keep these corals in low to moderate flow. The polyps seem to be extended. What are your thoughts on the flow around this frag

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’m fairly new, my reef tank is just over 2 years old. One thing I struggle with is the definition of flow. I recently bought a purple tip branching hammer coral. I read that you can keep these corals in low to moderate flow. The polyps seem to be extended. What are your thoughts on the flow around this frag
View attachment 2975413
Light and flow Moderate. What is moderate? It should be waving gently in the flow and Not doing a hula dance.
Too much flow causes the flesh to tear off the skeleton or get bacterial issues including brown jelly disease. They should be waving in the current but not bent over the skeleton of bouncing vigorously which leads to bailout, where the whole head separates from the skeleton. Avoid excessive bright light also

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back