Hammer and Alveopora not extending

ZachAttack23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

So for the past few weeks my hammer coral and alveopora coral have not been opening/extending like they used to. i tested my calcium a week ago and it was 350 so i have raised it to 430 within the past week. water parameters are alk 7.9 calcium 430 and magnesium 1400 salinity 1.25. any ideas what could be causing this? does the hammer splitting have something to do with it? all other corals seem fine. also, if anyone could identify what is growing on my rocks in the picture that would be great. it is grey and stringy. Thank you for your help.

IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg
Thanks.

OP
OP
Z

ZachAttack23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you moved them to a new location or change the flow pattern?
i got an ai nero 3 about a month ago. so i only have flow coming from one side of the tank. i used to have two cheaper pumps on each side. they were rated at 850 gph each and ive been running the nero around 1000-1400 gph

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you did a water change, my corals usually do all kinds of weird things when I slack on a wc. Also test nitrate and phosphate a large spike or dip in those make mine unhappy.
Edit: any changes to lighting?

dave0463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone,

So for the past few weeks my hammer coral and alveopora coral have not been opening/extending like they used to. i tested my calcium a week ago and it was 350 so i have raised it to 430 within the past week. water parameters are alk 7.9 calcium 430 and magnesium 1400 salinity 1.25. any ideas what could be causing this? does the hammer splitting have something to do with it? all other corals seem fine. also, if anyone could identify what is growing on my rocks in the picture that would be great. it is grey and stringy. Thank you for your help.

IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg
Thanks.
I'm new to the hobby. Which aio is the best one?

OP
OP
Z

ZachAttack23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time you did a water change, my corals usually do all kinds of weird things when I slack on a wc. Also test nitrate and phosphate a large spike or dip in those make mine unhappy.
Edit: any changes to lighting?
i did a large 50 percent water change about 10 days ago. the nitrate didnt register on an api test kit and i dont have a phospate test kit. i did use fluxrx for algae about a month ago which i regret now because i think that could be part of it. they were good before that. no lighting changes

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a large 50 percent water change about 10 days ago. the nitrate didnt register on an api test kit and i dont have a phospate test kit. i did use fluxrx for algae about a month ago which i regret now because i think that could be part of it. they were good before that. no lighting changes
Oh ok, I did the same last month for a bryopsis outbreak, and during the last 4 or 5 days all my corals were extremely unhappy, but after a 30% water change they are all back to normal this week. Coral contain algae called zooxanthellae, my guess is that flux negativity effects the growth of zooxanthellae. Many other people gave reported this with fluconazole use. Just give them awhile to recover.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, I did the same last month for a bryopsis outbreak, and during the last 4 or 5 days all my corals were extremely unhappy, but after a 30% water change they are all back to normal this week. Coral contain algae called zooxanthellae, my guess is that flux negativity effects the growth of zooxanthellae. Many other people gave reported this with fluconazole use. Just give them awhile to recover.
Oh also make sure to thoroughly clean filter socks and all your other filtration to get fluconazole out of the system.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I have this correctly:
  1. Flow change
  2. Above you stated salinity 1.25 - assume this is a typo
  3. Additive dosed
  4. Large water change
This makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.
Do you have a protein skimmer?

Easiest way to proceed is:
  • verify salinity
  • Adjust flow to mimic what it was (if possible)
  • Run carbon
  • give things a chance to readjust

OP
OP
Z

ZachAttack23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I have this correctly:
  1. Flow change
  2. Above you stated salinity 1.25 - assume this is a typo
  3. Additive dosed
  4. Large water change
This makes it very difficult to troubleshoot.
Do you have a protein skimmer?

Easiest way to proceed is:
  • verify salinity
  • Adjust flow to mimic what it was (if possible)
  • Run carbon
  • give things a chance to readjust
i do have a skimmer. Thank you for your help and advice!

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 25% water change yesterday and cleaned all filtration and the alveopora seems to be happier! the hammer is still not opening up like it used to but we will see if it does soon
Took 2 weeks for my blastomussa to open back up to its normal state, I wouldn't worry too much about the hammer

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back